cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gotcha!

N/A

Gotcha!

I was recently assured by Customer Support (ahem) that the only problems with PlusNet were regarding gaming. As this is a large part of what I use my broadband connection for I consider this unacceptable.

It would also appear that they were lying about that as well.

I missed out on an eBay auction last night because my 2Mb internet connection was so slow. Thanks PlusNet!

So I performed a download test at www.pcpitstop.com this morning at 09:49 when my connection was fine...

I then repeated the test at 18:32 this evening when I noticed that my general web browsing was really slow...

Notice the difference?

Now I suggest PlusNet come clean and give me the service I am paying for. Either that or give me my MAC key and reimburse the fees I have paid over the last 4 months or so.

You are thieves.
16 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Gotcha!

During peak hours, your web browsing should remain at usable levels. However, there are other factors that can cause your web browsing, and other transfers, to slow down. A big one of these is excahnge issues, if your exchange is heavilly contended then it can cause this kind of problem.

I'd suggest that you put your phone number into the exchange checker and see what that returns. As it could indicate a general problem in your area, rather than something being caused by traffic shaping.
N/A

Gotcha!

oh look the copy n paste contention reply! beggers belief.
N/A

Gotcha!

I'm sorry but it doesnt beggar belief.

Yes there is a distinct possibility that PN's management is causing this, however there is also a distinct possibility that exchange issues are also causing it.

Only by performing a BT speed test can the finger be fairly and squarely pointed at Plus Net.

Dont see these requests as being fobbed off, see them as a means of gathering evidence and if it works out as the customer suspects then the finger pointing can start.

Without it, there is doubt.
N/A

Gotcha!

Oh another surprise that youre backing up +nets continual denial of any issues on p2p.
N/A

Gotcha!

YOU should be monitoring these exchanges, not me. They are after all your means of delivering a service that I have paid YOU to provide.

If there is a problem at my exchange, how about YOU sending me an email (or "ticket") to apologise for the inconvenience and assure me that it is out of your hands?

PlusNet are a bunch of cowboys. The only time I have seen this many disgruntled customers before was on Dell's forums. I cannot believe that I have personally signed two of my family members up with you in the past few months - I assure you it wasn't for the 50p reward.

I have never been one to complain about anything in my life but the level of service you have provided has driven me to distraction. I suggest those of you who moderate these forums start looking for proper jobs before this wretched company sinks.

Rest assured I will be telling all of my friends, family and clients to avoid PlusNet like the plague.
N/A

Gotcha!

Sorry. Where exactly in that post did I back up anything regarding P2P.

The speed tester is a tool the customer can use to their advantage. If it shows a normal or fast speed then it proves that the issue lies with PN and gives the customer something to fight with.

If that is a denial of P2P issues then I'll eat my hat and yours along with it. :roll:
N/A

Gotcha!

Yes there is a distinct possibility that PN's management is causing this, [snip]

eh? This is another thread about dire speeds in general, so I assumed what you typed above, was with regard to p2p as well, seeing as there are so many threads on the subject.

Anyway can you explain why, when I try the BT speedtester I get dire speed results, and yet when I try any other speed tester I get expected and max speed results? And my web/ftp speeds are pretty much near what I would expect on a 2MB line. I'm asking you as PN (Dave) still haven't replied to my post where I answered their questions :roll:
N/A

Gotcha!

I cannot believe that I have personally signed two of my family members up with you in the past few months - I assure you it wasn't for the 50p reward.

then why did you sign them up if the service you recieve is so poor?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gotcha!

Oh another surprise that youre backing up +nets continual denial of any issues on p2p.

Why don't you read the posts before you jump in with an attack on Plusnet?

The original poster specifically said browsing.

Still - your stupid posts have proved what a prat you are and anyone with any sense will disregard them as ravings of a lunatic.

(And before you accuse me of being a Plusnet fan check my posting history. I like to gather the facts before I jump in with criticism - determining where the bottleneck leading to slow speeds is that is leading to slow speeds is a sensible first move)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Gotcha!

Why don't you read the posts before you jump in with an attack on Plusnet?

haha charming, thanks for the personal attack, is there really any need for that? Shows that you have the maturity of a small child. Are you short or something, anger issues?

I do read the posts, and if you read my 2nd post you will see why I 'jump in' as you put it. These speed issues have been going on for months, and now browsing is slowly starting to be affected as well. Frustration is the key here, and why I post on replies from PN which are quite frankly taking the mick, when its pretty obvious the OP has already pursued and checked everything before posting about his problems here. If you look at the majority of threads on here, PN consistently asks the OPs to run a speedcheck, the protocol they are trying to dload over is not designed to be fast, or their exchange is heavily contended, despite the fact that there aren't any of these issues on other ISPs. There is never any admittance from PN that they have any problems. As proved by the random disconnections on idle timeout debacle last year.
N/A

Gotcha!

Firstly, can I remind forum users, that personal attacks are not welcome and are against the rules.

Provocation is not an excuse.

There are issues or perceived issues at present and at times feelings can run high.

We can all get our views across without resorting to anger or personal attacks.

They help no-one and only serve to inflame.

Lets take a step back and resume the debate in a reasoned and sensible manner. Please.
N/A

Gotcha!

I cannot believe that I have personally signed two of my family members up with you in the past few months - I assure you it wasn't for the 50p reward.

then why did you sign them up if the service you recieve is so poor?

1. Price
2. Both of them are very low-volume users (email, web-browsing)
3. I assumed PN only had problems handling heavy usage

I am getting fed up posting in this forum and generally being unhappy with my ISP. It takes too much time and energy. If PN would only play fair I would disappear - I can handle the occasional blip in service.
chymorva
Grafter

Gotcha!

oh look the copy n paste contention reply! beggers belief.

Actually I thought: "Original post at 06:43 pm, reply at 06:55 pm - not bad at all."
However it appears that there is just no pleasing some people.
___oDiN__
Grafter

Gotcha!

i like how you expect plusnet to check your exchange for problems for youHuh

would you like someone to pop round and run speed tests and make you a coffee too...get a grip plusnet do not run your exchange BT do, plusnet cannot do anything about your exchange...and as pointed out you have to run the required checks before anything can be followed up further.

if your exchange is green and the bt speed test show fine at peak and off peak times then you can do something about it
if they arnt then it shows its down to BT releated issues which plusnet cannot do much about
we are all held ransom to bt and their crap infrastructure and slow service

and no im not a plusnet fanboy or a mod or a employee