cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Vistors to Plus Net web sites

retep
Grafter

Back in June I noticed a dramatic 95% loss of web visitors from Google. I just wondered if any one else with a plus net web site noticed anything similiar.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Google often move the goalposts (change the rules) that determin how websites are categorised and listed when searched for, so that is probbaly what happened.
retep
Grafter

Yes, you may be right. I was curious though if any others noticed anything.

I am talking about the sub domain type web sites with addresses like

http://www.anything.plus.com
LiamM
Grafter

I read something somewhere recently about Google recently changing the Pagerank algorithm which was causing loss of business for many internet companies that rely on the search engine listings.

If I can find it - then I will post it here.
retep
Grafter

The last major Google update was called Jagger and occured in early November I think.

Realy all I was trying to do was find out if other Plus Net web sites had noticed a drop in Google traffic. If it were common I could draw the conclusion that Google were penalising sub domain names.

plus.com is the domain and all our web sites xxxxx.plus.com are sub domains by the way.

Anyway thanks for your replies.
Community Veteran

Bear in mind a lot of people these days have an included / free co.uk domain with thier account these days.
retep
Grafter

That's interesting I will have a look to see if I qualify as I upgraded not to long ago.

By the way Google shows 331,000 of the xxxx.plus.com sub domains plus net is getting pretty big!

Try a google search for site:plus.com to see them, quite interesting to see what we are all up to.
retep
Grafter

That's a pity I don't. Still its probably difficult to move.
N/A

I got slaughtered in the Bourbon update. The problem was discussed in Google News on http://www.webmasterworld.com and it was decided I was affected by the duplicate content clampdown, which being a literary site I couldnt avoid. Jagger hasnt let me recover. It is thought you need at least 12% original material in a file to avoid my problem.

But Google have been making a major assault on what they consider as Spam, whatever that is.
retep
Grafter

Thats about the same time as me but its not duplicate content in my case as I write all the pages myself from scratch. I suspect Google have just given more weight in there searches to authority sites and decided that sub domains sites run by individuals are less likely to be that.

By the way I think that Google refer to spam in search engine terms as sites which lhave long lists of links to other pages with a paragraph or so of clips from those pages. I have seen them referred to as scrapper sites which is a good description. They usually too have ads all over the page, not that the ads worry Google.
N/A

I have two files of nothing but links. One for myself and one for a magazine I used to run. I didnt realise they might be classed as spam.
retep
Grafter

I am not an expert but I think its all the clips of extracted material from the page rather than the link themselves.

If you have the time, perhaps adding your own description of what the site (or page) does would be a good idea too.

But who am I to talk I've been more or less dumped too!