cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye to one and all

N/A

Goodbye to one and all

For those that may not yet have spotted yet (though that appears to be everybody right now), as of Sunday night (25th Sept), I am no longer a forum moderator.

There are several reasons here, some of which I will attempt to explain, though quite frankly, the conspiracy theorists are going to jump on the boat anyhow, so those that choose understand this thanks, for the rest, I couldn't care less.

Since the original five moderators started over two years ago, two moderators have been taken on, and prior to myself leaving, only one had left. In between all this, very few of the original policies on moderating have changed.

With the inclusion of the right to vote for moderators, and the fact we have for a long time, had a clear set of guidelines which we follow, the actual day to day work we do, has not changed in any real way.

To the contrary of what many users feel as a change in the way moderating is performed, it simply isn't true. What they refuse to look at, is the fact that more and more people are breaking the rules, so more and more action is being taken against them users.

Moderating is considered a thankless job, which I quite agree with. Though helping people and helping to keep the forum in check has been thanks enough. What doesn't help is attacks, sarcasm (which I admit I have done my own fair share of) and users goading us to take inappropriate action.

Fortunately, the moderators rise above such comments, as we know it shows little more that the type of character the poster has. That being said, there is only so much one person can take, before something becomes unpleasurable.

Over the past two years, I have asked to leave moderating at least twice. On these occasions other moderators, users and even PlusNet have contacted me to try and persuade me otherwise.

On the last occasion, it also came down to a personal choice, which hadn't I have stepped down now, may soon have caused me to hangup my moderating hat regardless. So I would rather hang it up now, and get myself in order sooner, rather than later.

Another reason is one of my pet hates, when a person that says they are doing something, then goes back on their word. Be it that others attempt to convince them or not, if they are in a position that they feel they want to get out of, they should not be that easy to convince otherwise. So rather than hate myself, I am out.

To those that asked me to stay last time because of the general help I provide, I am sorry. I blame that on the old chestnut of "The few spoil it for the many". Unfortunately that is the way things are, but if you are unhappy about this, there is little I can say. Speak to the other moderators to express your anger as I can no longer help you on that front.

I do hope the forums go on, as I am not the only source of information here.

Good luck to all, well, most.
31 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Goodbye to one and all

I've said on MSN, but for the record... thanks for all the help, advice you've given me and the rest of the team. You've been great to work with, I wish you all the luck and success in the future.

Don't be a stranger mate.
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

I hope you sort out your issues. Sorry to see you go. Good Luck.
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

Phillip,

What can I say. This is a sad day for the Plus Net forums.

I appreciate that this has been on your mind for a while now and you have been persuaded, thankfully, in the past, to remain in the moderator role.

From the tone of this post it is obvious that the days of persuasion are over.

I am aware that there has been a certain amount of critisism leveled at you of late and that is unfortunate and very regrettable. With your departure, these boards have lost a respected and knowledgable moderator.

I am saddened by this anouncement and respect your decision. I certainly hope that you will maintain your prescence on the boards, because I for one would be lost without you help.

On that note, I would like to extend my personal thanks for your advice, help and guidance over the last few years.

Good luck Phil. Sad
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

It's an end of an era - you have helped many people on these forums Philip, myself included. I hope you stay around and help others who are to come.
channel
Grafter

Goodbye to one and all

Some of the nuggets of information you have provided here have been pure gold and much appreciated.

I hope things work out for you and, obviously, hope you continue to be an active participant in these and other forums in future.
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

I certainly hope that you will maintain your prescence on the boards, because I for one would be lost without you help.On that note, I would like to extend my personal thanks for your advice, help and guidance over the last few years.

I also share "pcsni's" sentiments and pass on my best wishes

IanJ
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

Good Luck Cheesy
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

All the best. Am sure the forum have lost a valuable source of help, constructive comments and humour. Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Goodbye to one and all

Hi Phil,

On behalf of both of both myself and PlusNet I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the time and effort that you've put into the forums in the last couple of years, it really is appreciated.

I think Mark's summed up what we all think, so I'm not sure I can add anything more.

Remember to come visit from time to time.

Dave
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

It's all been said, so I can't add anything more except.
You have given freely of your time and knowledge, helped countless folk with endless problems. For which most have been grateful.
I guess now is the right time to go before the forums descend further into the black hole that they have become. Anyway you can hold your head high knowing you acted with dignity and showed respect during the bad times.

May you be blessed with a 1,000 children Smiley
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

May you be blessed with a 1,000 children Smiley

unlucky lol

Good to have known you acarr! You have helped me on many occasion Cheesy

Thanks,
Chris
N/A

Goodbye to one and all

I think of all the people on PN, I'll miss Phil the most when I migrate.

I haven't always agreed with you, but I have respected your input.

(stops himself from posting a bye, a smiley etc - jk).
Community Veteran

Goodbye to one and all

Well, It's all been said! Good Luck in the future and don't forget to pop back in every now and then ;-)

Anyway thanks for all the hard work you've put in. Today, is a very sad day for the forum.

Cry Cry Cry
Community Veteran

Goodbye to one and all

I can't think of much to say myself. I'm saddened by Philip's decision but glad of anything that makes him happier and I know how he's felt for some time. I've worked with Phil on here for longer than I've held down any of my day jobs, knows he has my respect and I consider him a friend. I'm sure (well hope) we will still see him in the forums in one form or another.

Chris