cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Plusnet ^_^

N/A

Goodbye Plusnet ^_^

This is my farewell to PN. I wish all of PN’s customers good luck dealing with them and better luck than I have had. I signed up for a 1mbs zen internet account and shall be starting to use their service on the 11th (2days after my billing date ://)! I have attached what I posted in my ticked to have my account removed here as I thought it might be of interest. Please bare in mind at the time I was actually quite angry with PN. Now I couldn’t care less.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have up to this point been very pleased with the level of support and service Plus
Net has offered me. However lately the ASDL service has been very poor with slow downloading speeds and unreasonable caps to my once uncapped usage limit. My personal opinion is that you handled the new SUP "situation" very poorly considering that a problem hadn't even occurred. I would have thought that it would have been more reasonable to implement this capping and throttling policy to new customers only keeping the existing customers loyal and happy and protecting your self as a business from future problems. For a company who prides it self on "service" you seem to have made a huge error on your part for upsetting so many of your customer's unnecessarily in order to further increase your annual profits. One other thing I have noticed about the way the Plus Net has dealt with this issue is having all your support staff deal with the consumers. You made a public forum so that your consumers could discuss your service. How that you are supposed to care about I have seen no official statements from anyone other than support team letting them take the flack for the change in service.

Their Reply

Customer Support Centre Actioned : Dear Dr Waterfall,
Bringing in the SUP was a necessity now so that it did not cause further long term damage to our network performance later. We are aware that this may have caused a small number of customers unhappiness at the service but as I say, the policy was essential because if the situation escalated further, we would be in a situation where the majority of our customers would see a noticeable reduction in service quality.

With regards to slow speeds, I'm sure you are aware of the ongoing issue with newsgroups and I can assure you that we are doing our best to provide a solution to the problems as soon as possible. This is taking time while we find a solution that will satisfy everybody concerned.

We can of course generate your MAC key but first I would like to ask if there is anything we could do for you which would make you change your mind about moving on?

Regards,
<removed>

My reply
Assigned : There are a lot of things you would have to change before I would consider staying. The original reason I chose plus net is the unmeterd connection you offered. This has been changed to a 30 gig limit which I could get cheaper and not have my downloads throttled to hell. It upsets me to see you so fragrantly disregard your customers views. As you said this problem has not even occurred. Like I said in my previous email I don’t see why you couldn’t allow your existing customers to keep the service that they chose instead of altering it for the better of you profits. You say that this will affect such a small percentage of plus nets customers and that 90% use under 10 gigs of bandwidth. I hardly see a looming problem.

“small number of customers unhappiness at the service”
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32519&highlight=poll
I hardly call 462 out of 766 a small number of customers. Its over 60% of the customers who took that poll. And then you lock it preventing your customers to continue to express their dissatisfaction with your new “improved” service.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34993&highlight=poll
You then are locking the posts to try and silence our complaints? Even though that’s not what’s wanted? 98 out of a 123 (79%) Think that you shouldn’t be locking the posts.

How a company of plus nets size can make such a blind and uniformed decision is beyond me. If you can implement my old agreement of having an unlimited and un throttled account I would love to stay with plusnet. However as is I would much rather pay £3 more a month for an unmated connection with zen internet than stay with the service you are providing.

Its great I rang them they answered! You didn’t have to wait 20mins listing to that god awful music ://

Their reply
Customer Support Centre Actioned : Dear Dr Waterfall,
As we are not able to offer you an unrestricted or unshaped account, I have generated your MAC key: <removed>. This will remain valid for 30 days. Thank you for your custom and hope all goes well with your new provider.

Regards,
<removed>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cant help feeling a little jiped after writing all of that and then getting 2 obviously standard replies. Anyways I will try and make another post telling you how I am getting on with my new ISP depending on if I still have a portal account.
5 REPLIES
ChrisR
Grafter

Goodbye Plusnet ^_^

It's usually only the people with no life who complain about the SUP. No one in the right mind would download over 30GB between 4PM and 12AM.
N/A

Goodbye Plusnet ^_^

Except, Chris, that PlusNet's flawed QoS configuration affects EVERYONE accessing binary newsgroups.

Their current QoS configuration is dropping around 10% of my newsgroup packets. They seem to be under the impression that this will reduce my download speed by 10%.

In reality, of course, the reduction in throughput is closer to 70%. This ignorance is why I (and many others) are so upset.

My recent monthly usage is shown below. Bear in mind this includes general surfing; my newsgroup downloads are less than 3Gb per month. But the third party newsgroup service I pay for is now unusable (less than 10kb) thanks to PlusNet.

I've been a PlusNet customer in one form or another for over three years. All of my family use PlusNet, due to my recommendations. I'm even in the middle of a pre-paid annual contract - but I don't care. I've requested my MAC and I'm leaving as soon as it comes through.

Regards
Richard
joncooper
Grafter

Goodbye Plusnet ^_^

It's usually only the people with no life who complain about the SUP. No one in the right mind would download over 30GB between 4PM and 12AM.

you do know you don't actually have to be present while your PC is downloading ?
rammie1976
Grafter

Goodbye Plusnet ^_^

ROFL!
ChrisR
Grafter

Goodbye Plusnet ^_^

Yes, I do. I run an IRC script, I download mp3s regularly and my computers are online 24/7.