cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good news?

N/A

Good news?

Telecoms regulator Ofcom has vowed to crack down on mis-selling by phone and broadband providers.
Ofcom said it was prepared to fine firms which broke industry rules large sums to ensure public confidence in the sector was maintained.

Competition has intensified in the broadband and telecoms markets with the likes of Carphone Warehouse, BSkyB, BT, Orange and Vodafone vying for business.

Rules making it easier for people to change supplier come in next year.

Level-playing field

Firms flouting these rules, which come into force in February, and other regulations will potentially face a maximum penalty of up to 10% of their turnover.

Ofcom stressed that the broadband market was generally working well for consumers but added that it had a duty to deal with a "minority" of cases where people were being short-changed.

"You will see a crackdown on rogue operators that are trying to implement scams and those companies dealing in unfair methods of competition," an Ofcom spokesman said.

"There is a threat that if there is mis-selling, then confidence in the market will suffer and that is not acceptable."

The regulator insisted that it would not investigate companies for the sake of it but wanted to ensure a "level-playing field".

It is concerned that some broadband customers are being left in limbo when they change suppliers since firms are failing to provide codes enabling them to transfer smoothly.

Ofcom is increasing penalties for other forms of mis-selling with fines for firms guilty of making silent phone calls set to rise to £50,000 next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6199509.stm

Now we know why we can't have a new pipe, PN have to save their money for the future fines - Wink
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Good news?

So when in January are PlusNet going to change their product sign-up pages then - not sure how marketing would dress up the statement "Plus is completely unusable for external binary usenet (which isn't mentioned), as well as P2P". Which my posts from a couple of days ago eventually discovered.

Is it when the model agency is free in Jan - and there are enough people in the office who can work Photoshop Smiley
N/A

Good news?

"Plus is completely usable for external binary usenet (which isn't mentioned), as well as P2P".

Missed a un before usable? :-P
N/A

Good news?

Hmmm... who do you think would bear the cost of any fines?

20 years ago the fined companies might have borne some of the costs but in these shameless and unregulated times they'd just up all our fees by 10% to cover the fines.
Community Veteran

Good news?

Missed a un before usable?

So I did - post edited Smiley
Phil_Collins
Grafter

Good news?

"Plus is completely usable for external binary usenet (which isn't mentioned), as well as P2P".

I downloaded a 697MB Linux ISO last night at 8pm from external usenet (Easynews) and had an average down speed of 700KB/s so I would concur external usenet is completely usable!
Phil_Collins
Grafter

Good news?

I downloaded a 697MB Linux ISO last night at 8pm from external usenet (Easynews) and had an average down speed of 700KB/s so I would concur external usenet is completely usable!
N/A

Good news?

...had an average down speed of 700KB/s so I would concur external usenet is completely usable!

Are you sure you are on a PLUS account?
Community Veteran

Good news?

I downloaded a 697MB Linux ISO last night at 8pm from external usenet (Easynews)

On Plus? How on earth did you even manage to log in?
Phil_Collins
Grafter

Good news?

Yes I am on Plusnet Premier up to 8 mbps (Maxdsl)
I do use a download manager (Reget) and make 20 connections and max out the connection, I did have problems with being throttled about a year ago until they sorted out their SUP now I keep well within the 20 GIGS peak time usage ( usally about 3 GIGS peak for the month and maybe only 20-25 total off peak and peak.

I am fortunate enough to live 50 mtrs from the exchange I think that helps.
N/A

Good news?

There is a difference between plus and premier accounts.

On a plus account, your speeds would have been restricted, even if you were downloading via http.
Phil_Collins
Grafter

Good news?

Sorry please excuse me , when you refered to a Plus account I didn't realise it was different from Premier.