cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go on Plusnet restore our faith, INCREASE the d'load limits

Community Veteran

you know you want to....

Reading through the forums and comparing the soon to be plusnet packages the main thing people are after are increased download limits BEFORE SPEED RESTRICTIONS occur. I for one wish to try out new emerging services but will not because of the new limits and I don't want to breach them. Multicast etc.

Other competitors are indeed introducing limits, just as plusnet predicted, but the limits are way bigger than those of plusnet such as 50gb on a 8mb connection.

These limits are acceptable, 15gb with restriction after 10 until the users experience is reduced back to 512 is not good.

I for one would pay 2 or 3 pounds more for a 50gb limit would other people?

I like the service and want to use it and new web developments but I fear plusnet are strangling the likelyhood of my dream at least.

Wouldn't it be good if companies did customer research before product relaunches.

A
6 REPLIES
N/A

The thing is, it's not the download limits that have almost entirely destroyed my faith in PlusNet, and 3 quid won't buy you 50Gb, maybe an extra 4. So I'll have to pass on this poll.
Community Veteran

well if 4 quid would by it 3 quid must make it a large part of the way. Sadly I can't chnage the poll.

My work recently undertook a large re-design and consulted with all users, joe public, on what they wanted to see. We then redesigned with that in mind not what we wanted. We tried to deliver what people asked for not what we thought we could get them to accept.

A
N/A

3 quid would only buy you 4GB, 35 quid would buy you 50GB. The going rate is about 70p/GB
shellsong
Grafter

It might also be good if customers did research on companies' costs before launching polls about products!

I am sure that PlusNet could vastly improve the product range and service with moderate price increases but when it comes to the crunch they still need to make a reasonable profit in order to stay in business-- this means the average peak usage of, say, the Premier package has got to stay at a certain level (maybe 5GB per month for an overall average usage of 11GB) unless the price of the package is raised to keep a higher average peak usage viable.

The flat rate of the Premier package allows for a fair amount of flexibility and means that users can be allocated much larger limits than the average but as they want to use more and more bandwidth this in effect pushes the average up and leads to the situation we have at present where an ISP unwilling to increase its prices in line with reality has to put ever increasing restrictions on usage to stay in profit

Quite frankly I don't think you realise just how much prices need to increase to pay for your suggestions
Community Veteran

It might also be good if customers did research on companies' costs before launching polls about products!

Quite frankly I don't think you realise just how much prices need to increase to pay for your suggestions

My idea as mentioned came from looking at other available 8mb products in roughly the same price banding. 50gb for £25.99 they also have peak time usgae allowances but this is 50gb and no restrictions on non peak in line with plusnet.

I do realise extra capacity costs that was why there was the suggestion of a slight price increase. if read my 2nd comment I conceeded that maybe £3 was tad on the conservative side.

The point i was trying to make was other companies appear to offer very similar products with much larged limits for not much more.

A
shellsong
Grafter

The main problem is not just the extra cost of capacity at just under 70p/GB but the fact that this is averaged as if all the capacity of the Centrals could be used at 100% efficiency all the time.

The trouble is that most people want to use the system between 4 pm and midnight and the system has to have the capacity available for that. This means that a more realistic price during the peak period would probably be about £1.20/GB-- how would you like to pay £73 for 50GB guaranteed peak time usage per month (£60 for the Centrals, £13 for the BT connection and PlusNets expenses)?

I believe the company you were referring to allow 50GB between 8 am and midnight and are gambling that not everyone will try using that all in the evening in the same way Premier used to work-- presumably their gamble is paying off at the moment! PlusNet has got frightened and maybe a little greedy and are trying to control human nature, a dodgy idea at the best of times I reckon! Wink