cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give me a reason not to switch to Carphone Warehouse

N/A

Hi All

I've been reasonable happy with my time at PlusNet, but the resent announcement from Carphone Warehouse seems interesting. I guess I can save £25 a month on combined phone and broadband costs, and get as good as unlimited monthly usage.

I have a PN hosted domain for email purposes which I will have to switch, but I know a reliable host that will only charge 81p a month for this.

Other than the initial grief and a few lost emails it does seem worth going...

What do you guys & gals think?
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran

CPW are buying market share, that is it is going to cost them money if many people really do use a large amount of the 40GB quota.

In the long run, how much capacity are they going to install? Will you be traffic shaped?

Though, if PN keep downgrading services like Usenet to support text only, this starts to make both packages look overtly the same. If you lose market differentiation, as PN are currently doing, they lose current customers and attract fewer new ones.

The 'savvy' customers PN likes to band on about are going to be 'low maintenance' so the operating expenses could be lower. Not at the current rate of progress though.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
tumnus
Grafter

CPW's offer doesn't have a 40GByte quota:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/12/carphone_gigabit/

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't read the article properly.
Alecto
Grafter

Well kajcf, I can only assume that if you ask the question seriously, you don't really depend on your broadband service too much. Have you seen how much money they're losing? The whole thing is a nonsense and proposed by people who can't have worked out the implications.
Still, go ahead and move and prove me wrong.

Do you by any chance also reply to the emails offering to make you a millionaire overnight? :lol:
Alecto
Grafter

It does according to the BBC
N/A

I'll give you one good reason: Bulldog. And they have the might of Cable & Wireless behind them - I would expect CPW to be between 2 and 10 times worse. How will CPW be able to do a better job?
N/A

Hi gpattison

Do you by any chance also reply to the emails offering to make you a millionaire overnight?

That was a little uncalled for!! I've not fallen for the PR line, which is why I ask the question here. It seems attractive, but maybe others better qualified than I know why its not.

Still, money won't be a problem when that nice Nigerian man transfers the huge amount of dosh into my account that hes promised. It's taking a while, but I'm sure its on its way!!!!!
Alecto
Grafter

Sorry kajcf, it was a little harsh and I apologise.

It's just that I get frustrated at the way the media and people who should know better take seriously an offer that is totally daft and too good to be true.
When you're as old as I am, you'll have seen this so many times you'll get frustrated with it too.
Tongue
N/A

Where do you get that idea from when the article is refering to correcting a spelling mistake more than anything else...........anyone know how much 40 gigabit would ammount to? :-)

Oops it was answered in the above mentioned article
Community Veteran

anyone know how much 40 gigabit would ammount to? :-)

The said article states 40Gb is 5GB.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
tumnus
Grafter

Oops. Shoulda read to the end of the Reg article. It was just a typo.

In any case, isn't this offer only available where CPW have unbundled an exchange? I thought I also read in another Reg article (may have to check again :roll: ) that it was an 18 month contract.
chrisco
Grafter

Cos' there's no such thing as a free lunch & if it's too good to be true then it probably isn't :roll:

Regards, Chris Cole
wildhorse

In any case, isn't this offer only available where CPW have unbundled an exchange?

Yes - I've just tried entering my exchange and they said the offer didn't apply.

Phil
N/A

Thats strange, theres stuff everywhere that if you dont have an LLU enabled exhange you can still have it, but it would be an extra 9.99 per month.....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The Carphone Warehouse announcement is certainly an interesting one, but one that at the moment is really just an announcement. They have yet to unbundle any exchanges (I think the first is due in July) so the proof of the pudding is yet to be seen as to how service works. How quickly they'll be able to unbundle exchanges will also be interesting.

One thing of concern must be how much money they expect to lose in the first year, I've heard a report of £110m in the first year. That's an awful lot of money to lose in such a fast paced industry.