cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giganews

Grimbo
Grafter

Giganews

Can anyone get on www.giganews.com tonight?

Specifically, can anyone under level 1 management get on www.giganews.com tonight?

Thanks
45 REPLIES
N/A

Giganews

I can get on no problem!!
Grimbo
Grafter

Giganews

Thanks Malcolm... are you being managed at the moment?
N/A

Giganews

we are all being managed!! not sure what you mean to be honest.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Grimbo
Grafter

Giganews

Since I went onto level 1 management I am unable to access www.giganews.com or their newsgroups (during peak hours).

I know that my download speed is being throttled - but I didn't expect to be totally denied certain websites or protocols whilst on level 1 management.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Giganews

Hi,

Binary Usenet, which will include the websites of binary usenet providers as many allow you to download via HTTP, is moved into the bronze queue under level 1 and 2 management during peak hours, which has the lowest priority on the network.
Grimbo
Grafter

Giganews

Thanks Dave, this seems to effectively, block it completely as during the 2 days I have been managed - it has been unreachable (HTTP or NEWS).

Whilst I understand the reasons for it - this seems a little heavy handed... Slowing the connection would have been enough, removing access to it completely (effectively) is not on.
Fixes: 115

Giganews

This is exactly what I am experiencing (see the thread: Why do I feel that I am banging my head against a wall?

The only thing I forgot to omit in the threads is that I, too, am with GigaNews.

As per the OP, it seems heavy-handed to totally restrict USENET.

Hi,

Binary Usenet, which will include the websites of binary usenet providers as many allow you to download via HTTP, is moved into the bronze queue under level 1 and 2 management during peak hours, which has the lowest priority on the network.

But in my experience it is not just restricted to the binary groups but all ngs are affected.

HTH

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Giganews

It's not the groups that the restrictions apply to, it's the servers that carry any binary groups. Text only servers should not be affected in the same way.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

Giganews

But we're paying a premium to Giganews so should we really have to put up with non-existent access (time-outs) during peak time even if Level 1 management has been reached?

I seem to remember reading somewhere in PN 9Could be more than a year or two ago) that subscription websites had priority over non-subscription ones and assumed that this was also the case with USENET.

Did I miss-read this, or simply dream it up :?:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Giganews

I think that was a dream as there's no priority given to subscription websites and certainly no priority given to Usenet websites. If it was a service you were paying a premium to us for then I can see why that may be the case but it isn't.

Any traffic from a binary usenet provider is treated the same, whether that's HTTP, NNTP text or binary downloads it doesn't differentiate and under level 1 management will go to the bottom of the priorities list so when the network is busy, as it is at peak time that traffic gets dropped.

It should work better off off peak as there's more bandwidth available and it will be moved back up the priority to silver.

Giganews

Any traffic from a binary usenet provider is treated the same, whether that's HTTP, NNTP text or binary downloads it doesn't differentiate and under level 1 management will go to the bottom of the priorities list so when the network is busy, as it is at peak time that traffic gets dropped.

I find it hard to beleive that the network is always so busy every day between 16:00 & midnight that USENET traffic always gets dropped.

If this is so, then why not detail this in the Traffic Management page rather than the simple 'Upto speeds' which suggests we should get some usability rather than none?

I'd like to know how widespread is this problem with USENET being unusable once Level 1 Management is reached. Is everyone experiencing it or just a few members?

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Giganews

It won't be many because it only applies on level 1 and level 2 management and not that many customers use enough at peak time to hit level 1. The idea behind it is to ensure everyone gets a fair share of the peak time bandwidth and ensure the priority is with the interactive traffic.
Grimbo
Grafter

Giganews

Thanks for your contributions to this thread Dave... I think we all know what is happenning and why it is being done.

What I would like to know is why they don't just throttle us during these hours rather than simply make the service unavailable.

This is the first time it has happenned to me, but I still think it is unfair that a standard internet protocol should be disabled when Plusnet have told us it would just be "slowed down"... Presumably they realise that the measures they take will not just "slow it down" but will instead render it unavailable.
N/A

Giganews

the bottom of the priorities list so when the network is busy, as it is at peak time that traffic gets dropped.

Not that I ever use news groups or for that matter use my business connection to the point of falling foul of PN and getting put onto special managed profiles.

What does worry me though is that PN appear to need to totally drop traffic that ends up at the back of the queue or bottom of the priority heap.

I could understand slowing it to a crawl but not dropping it totally.