cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giganews Usenet speed Drops like a stone

bertie40

Hi.
(amongst everything astray these days :? )

Does anyone else have this problem.

In the morning (8am) Giganews speed happily slips along at "full bore" (in my Maxdsl case, 2.3gig).

Then. like a switch being thrown, it plummets down to, just about, zilch.

I'm using the european server, and have tried changing ports to no effect.

A test shows ridiculously long ping times to UK and european servers.

Is this a problem ON TOP of all the Maxdsl hassle ?

Am I being usenet "choked" by plusnet ?

I have a business account, so I don't believe I should be. In any case my dloads are what I would consider, within the boundaries allowed.

Kind Regards to All.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Same here, search for 'giganews borked' or posts by me. I'm not even on MaxDSL yet.

I've got a ticket open but Plus.net have yet to acknowledge it's a problem with their Ellcoya traffic shaping.

You're on a business account but you're still being traffic shaped, I'm in the same boat as are many other people.

All I can say is raise a ticket, raise a ticket, raise a ticket.

Andrew
N/A

I've also mentioned a slight increase in ping times to my local exchange - but I don't think my problem is as bad as yours. I've noticed that sometimes rebooting my router helps. Almost like the router renegotiates the connection setitngs and gets a better connection - although this should not be happening in the first place. I'm not getting any errors or signalling problems on my cisco router. Normally if something is wrong on my end I see it in the form of CRC errors and interface resets - but I am not seeing anything but slow responses from my side.
N/A

I'm also having problems getting through to Giganews - problems started last thursday for me - and coincidentally my account got switched to use the new VMU at the same time.

I've got a ticket open with support too and they've been looking at it today.
I'm also on a business account so shouldn't be seeing any traffic management and they say that my account hasn't got any in place.
However if I can connect to the newservers then I'm only seeing speeds of around 1-2k/s. Even the main giganews website seems to be blocked and takes forever to load. I can however still access the text giganews usenet server ok.

I've also had some success today after rebooting my router - access went back to normal for a short time this afternoon, but I've not rebooted or reconnected since and unfortunately it's back to a crawl again...

There's definately something wrong - let's hope the networking team are looking into it and will figure it out soon!

Cry
N/A

Everyone is 'traffic managed', your FTP/p2p/Usenet is greatly reduced capacity over HTTP.
N/A

I'm in the same boat. It was fine just before 8 this morning, now its around 5kB/sec Sad

server: newshosting.com
account: premier
N/A

Well this is all a bit odd innit :?

I was experiencing the same problem up until my line was "Maxxed" . Now that I have been upgraded problem solved ( fingers crossed!).
N/A

Everyone is 'traffic managed', your FTP/p2p/Usenet is greatly reduced capacity over HTTP.

The shaping/management should not really kick in unless someone has exceeded their Peak Time Usage allocation AFAIK.
N/A

I always thought that as well, but, I spoke to +net on the phone the other day and they confirmed that all traffic is prioritised.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

But by my reckoning my Network Traffic Priority Level must be tin-pot!

Andrew
N/A

How do we manage traffic on our network?
Different types of traffic have a different priority at peak times on our network, with time-sensitive applications such as gaming and VoIP having the highest priority.

All these restrictions apply to peak-time only; no restrictions apply outside of the hours of 4pm-Midnight.
N/A

after 7 hours

Please test your connection on other P2P applications.

Cry