cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giganews. Is it Borked?

N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

Only ever seems to work (load headers and download at more than 2kb/s) in the early to mid morning.

Anyone? :?
28 REPLIES
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

No problems here, just tried to download and data seems to be coming in at 5.2Mbps/660kbps.

I'm using news-europe.giganews.com.
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

No problems here, just tried to download and data seems to be coming in at 5.2Mbps/660kbps.

:shock: Blimey!

I have tried switching between news-europe and news but to no avail.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Giganews. Is it Borked?

Hi,

I don't have a Giganews account, but my Easynews account seems to be OK, getting about 100KB/s on a single thread header download.

There was a problem about a week or so ago affecting some customers' usenet speeds, have you disconnect and reconnected in the past 7 days?
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

There was a problem about a week or so ago affecting some customers' usenet speeds, have you disconnect and reconnected in the past 7 days?

I have re-booted my router at least once in the last week. Just done it again and after reboot...nada.
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

Still dog slow... :roll:
JonathanW
Grafter

Giganews. Is it Borked?

Is it just the one site/protocol that you are finding slow, or is it a general slowness that you're experiencing at certain times of day? If the latter is the case then I'd suggest running a BT Speed Test to see what is going on with your line in general. Then in either case raise a ticket via link:contact us and get the support team to investigate further.
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 0208789@@@@ and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1878 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

I have raised a ticket. General browsing and most downloads are fine.
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

Still borked. Got a feeling I am being "shaped" in a rather major way.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Giganews. Is it Borked?

Hi,

I can't see any problems with your account and it looks as though CSC have dial tested it and it's been fine.

Does it ever work OK or is it slow at all times of the day?

Have you tried usenet.plus.net to see if that works any faster. It's text only but should give a good result to compare speeds.

Which news client are you using and how many threads? Have you tried a different client and increased the number of threads?
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

Hi,
Does it ever work OK or is it slow at all times of the day?

Yes. As I mentioned in my first post early mornings = full speed ahead.

Which news client are you using and how many threads? Have you tried a different client and increased the number of threads?

Have tried various OS X clients such as Unison, iGrabNews and MT Newswatcher and all are slow...
Have also tried another News service other than Giganews (Usenet.com)

I'll try PN's own Usenet server and see what happens.
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

I'm getting acceptable (if very spiky) speeds at the moment from giganews, I'll try during peak time and see how it is. Also using OS X BTW Smiley
Have you noticed anything else about when/where the problems are? Days of the week as well as times, gateways connected to, time within a billing cycle?
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

damn I was thinking of signing up to giganews, do you two always have problems with them?
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

I think it's safe to say that the problem here is not giganews Wink
N/A

Giganews. Is it Borked?

damn I was thinking of signing up to giganews, do you two always have problems with them?

I really do not think it is Giganews who are at fault here.