cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting really cheesed off

N/A

Do you expect to pay to haev your account cancelled when your contract has ran out well expect it with Force9.

Deferred Activation

Start Date : 04/07/05 Current Year : 1 End Date : 03/07/10

Current Cancellation Charge : £58.75

Deferred Hardware (Voyager 105 USB Modem)

Current Cancellation Charge : £25.00

Total Current Cancellation Charge £83.75

However this amount will be reduced by 20% after your years anniversary date.

The reason i am leaving is because i believe in custoemr service and Force9 has none. 30min and longer to get through to customer service. Ticket responses taking a day. I signed up for a 2mb unlimited account only to find out a couple of months ago it's all changed and now i have a peak usage limit.
I will be contacing Ofcom, BT (who i happen to work for and will find the info i need) i will be contacting trading standards as well to.
14 REPLIES
N/A

Unfortunately you have taken the "free" activation option which provided you with line activation and modem, and also tied yourself to a 5 year contract! I think you will find that there is no way you can avoid paying the costs for activation and modem as they are things you have received as opposed to a service you are paying for. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you have a modem and your line is ADSL activated? This is what you are paying for, not the cost of any service provided by F9.

Unfortuantely, I think we will be seeing a lot more posts like this in the future, the "free" activation and an modem is something some of us queried when it first rolled out.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Mark
N/A

Go to trading standards and put them down, good on you Cool
N/A

hhmm i signed up for a 12 month contract please show me where it says 5 year contract, i also paid for my connection in the price of my monthly fee. (i'm pretty sure of it).
N/A

This looks like what you signed up for, a 12 month contract with a five year deferred activation and modem:

Don't want to pay a penny for setup? No problem, we'll take care of it. All we ask is that you stay with us! Let's face it, with a service as good as this, why would you leave?

Want the detail? 'You stay we pay' explained.

For every year you stay with Force9 we'll guarantee that the cancellation cost decreases. What does this mean? If you cancel within the first year, then you will pay £47 for the activation. For every year you stay we'll reduce this by £9.40. If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will be an additional cancellation fee of £25 in the first year and this will reduce by £5 for each year that you stay.

You can choose an annual or monthly contract when you choose broadband. If you choose the monthly contract option in conjunction with this offer there is a one-off charge of £11.75.

Full details at linky

It seems the activation has dropped to £47 since you signed up. Check your original contract details or take a look in your account payment details at the portal.
N/A

I haev been looking at Terms and conditions for when i signed up it goes as follows.

9 Ending this Contract

19.1 This Contract can be ended by:
(a) us giving one month's notice to you; or
(b) you giving one months notice to us.
(c) you giving us immediate notice within the 14 day notice period if, under paragraph 20, we inform you that we are increasing our charges or changing the conditions of this Contract to your detriment.

19.2 If we give you notice, you must pay the charges applicable up to the end of that notice. If you give us notice, you must pay us the charges that would have been due within the notice period.

19.3 If you give us notice that ends, or we end this contract under paragraph 15, during the period of the Contract, you must pay us the relevant cancellation charges set out in the price list located here.

19.4 If you give us notice that falls before the end of your current Contract period because we have increased our charges or materially changed the Conditions of this Contract to your detriment, you may cancel in the period of time between the notice of the changes and the time the changes take place.

19.5 If you have paid any charges for a period after the end of the Contract we will either repay it or put it towards any money you owe us.

It says:

If you signed up between Thursday 28th April 2005 and Wednesday 24th August 2005 and have not changed product, view your previous Terms and Conditions.
When i started work for BT i told them about where i live and that i could only get 1mb connection. He said rubbish he knows for a fact that where i live can get 2mb connection. I got home rang F9 and said that they would charge for the upgrade i said i don't think so i pay for up to a 2mb connection and when i told them i work for BT she came back and said you connection will be upgraded within 10 working days with nothing to pay. This is the only product change whioch when you think about isn't a product change as i was paying for that as well. The only other 1 is them changing all the accounts with us having no option.
tonymunro
Grafter

The only way out of the deferred activation costs is to build a good case against F9 in terms of them not delivering the service you have been paying for.

Trading Standards is your first port of call really... I suspect they will tell you there is not much you can do unless you can prove problems with the service and a lack of response from F9 to resolve said problems.

Unfortunately I think you'll find that the changes they have made to the terms and conditions are covered in the contract under wording such as "we reserve the right to make necessary changes....."

I'm sure I read somewhere on the site that they were likely to ask you to leave if you were "abusing" the product you had signed up to. This would probably mean abusing the SUP with excessive use. If they asked to leave then they couldn't enforce the cancellation fee but I suspect the process would take at least two months and you would suffer with a much reduced service during that time

If you do get different advice from Trad Standards I'm sure a lot of us would be keen to hear that!! I reckon a lot of customers are going to want to get out of their contracts in the near future if the service keeps going down the way it is.
N/A

I'm sorry, but I think you will find you are fighting a losing battle. You took the deferred payment option for line activation and modem, both of which you have, both of which have not changed since you received them. What the T&C's are saying is that if you signed up on a monthly contract, you have to give one month's notice to leave and there are no extra month's payments to make like there are if you signed up for 12 months, but all deferred payments i.e. modem and activation, are due. I don't think you will find Ofcom or trading standards will tell you any different. It is the same as the "free" migration offered. If you decide to migrate out again within 12 months, the migration fee is payable.

Mark
N/A

The only way out of the deferred activation costs is to build a good case against F9 in terms of them not delivering the service you have been paying for.

Delivering a service is one thing, but delivering goods, by the means of a free modem and free line activation, they will not be covered. If you look at all previous announcements made in the forums and usenet, you will see that F9 will waive all contractual obligations if you don't agree with the changes. this waiver however does not apply to things that you would have had to purchase yourself to take advantage of ADSL, i.e line activation and hardware.

As bitter a pill as it is to swallow, I think you will find there is no option.

Mark
N/A

Yup reading in to it more it looks like i will have to pay to cancel. I was pretty sure that i was under the 12 month contract and didn't see anything about deferred activation if i had i would of told them where to stick it. I came to F9 from the comments made about it from a friend it was all fine until they brought in this bandwidth cap at peak times i wanted unlimited downloads which is what i signed up for and now i'm not getting it, hmm they not delivering on a product which i signed up for could that be used?

Thx for you input guys sorry for sounding like a tw*t but it's really got on my tits.

Karl
N/A

Hey, no need to apologise Karl. As I said earlier, some of us thought this deferred activation would cause problems in the future, due to the way it was "carefully" worded. Unfortunately you are the first to ask questions about it in this forum since it was implemented and as such...... Cheesy

Mark
N/A

Re: Getting really cheesed off

Do you expect to pay to haev your account cancelled when your contract has ran out well expect it with Force9.

Deferred Activation

Current Cancellation Charge : £58.75

Deferred Hardware (Voyager 105 USB Modem)

Current Cancellation Charge : £25.00

Total Current Cancellation Charge £83.75

However this amount will be reduced by 20% after your years anniversary date.

quote]

I am in the same boat. It was a clearerly worded piece of marketing. I will be making sure that I would be leaving at the end of July as then a full year will be up so it should be slightly cheaper to move. It would be classed has Highway Robbery!!
N/A

They will lose 2 customers within 3 days of each other hmm.
N/A

Well looks like F9 do it again, yes that right they are ripping off there long term customers again, time after time changing conditions moving goal post etc etc well myself like others have had enough. i have requested my mac code and have to pay the FEE that was never set out to me in my t&c's nor did i change product by choice but it i will take that up with trading standards.

I like many am sick of the Micky Mouse MaxDSL change which took forever and when it got here, god how i wish i still had my slow 2mb account back..

I will howeever miss the supurb customer support NOT lol

See ya f9 and good luck keeping your customers
N/A

Surely you read the terms of a free connection and if you leave early you have to pay a forfeit, this is the same with all companies, whatever you purchase. Get with it read the terms in future.