cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting more web space...

N/A

I currently use Broadband Plus with a 100MB web allowance.

How do I increase this to something more useful, say 500MB - can I do it with Plus.net without going bankrupt? Its mostly academic papers etc., i.e. large PDFs, and I need a minimum of 300MB really...

Ideas?

Thanks
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can't increase your webspace without changing your product.

The best residential product for webspace is BB premier which comes with 250MBs and starts at £21.99/month. To get 500MB you would have to change to a much more expensive business product like Broadband Business.

Or you find alternate webspace from one of the many hosting servces.
channel
Grafter

I'd strongly recommend fuzioned.com (formerly MacHosting) if you are looking for webspace at the cheaper end of the pricing spectrum.
MrToast
Grafter

The best residential product for webspace is BB premier which comes with 250MBs and starts at £21.99/month.....

Don't forget that BB-PAYG has the same webspace / CGI etc as Premier.

(But that doesn't help you with 300-500MB)

If you had a friend with un-used webspace you could possibly share the PDF documents around... If you keep all the HTML pages in one place it might not be too difficult. Depends how much site maintainance there is I guess.

Simple option as stated is to either find a suitable account with enough space or else buy a website hosting package. There are loads of those around. I presume you can't get space at some interested professional organisation or university...
Discostoo
Grafter

I'm sure you'd be able to get some decent space at university if you ask one of the Comp Sci bods. In fact they'd probably be glad to do it. Better than their degree anway. Tongue
N/A

Re: Getting more web space...

I currently use Broadband Plus with a 100MB web allowance.

How do I increase this to something more useful, say 500MB - can I do it with Plus.net without going bankrupt? Its mostly academic papers etc., i.e. large PDFs, and I need a minimum of 300MB really...

I doubt PN will offer extended we server resources - their offering in this area is essentially a free added extra rather than anything close to their core business.

If it is for accademic use, than you may find that your insittution are happy to give you a chunk of webspace to play with - I'd recommend enqiring their first (you might get it free, and the worst they'll say is "sorry, but no").

Failing that there are many reasonably priced web hosting services out ther - check forums like www.webhostingtalk.com - the main thing to be wary of is hosts that grossly over-sell (you can tell them by there offers looking far too good to be true).

I have a dedicated server the I use for my own projects, on which I could give you a couple of Gb of space and bandwidth pretty cheaply if you are interested...
N/A

Ianwild
Grafter

Guys,

Can I respectfully ask that other companies that do what we do aren't discussed in our forums please? I'm a pretty anti-censorship kind of guy myself, but there is no shortage of places to discuss such things as other providers.

I don't want to curtail the discussion, but I hope you can see why this is something I feel OK about asking you to respect.

In terms of hosting, do people think there would be a demand for the ability to pay a few quid extra a year to recieve an increased storage allowance?

Cheers,

Ian
N/A

In terms of hosting, do people think there would be a demand for the ability to pay a few quid extra a year to recieve an increased storage allowance?

The short answer? Yes.

I simply need more space - I have little need to change ISP, except that most others host 5 domains, and you limit to 3 (a bit of a pain for me).

I would pay a bit more for 500MB - I do need this space, and wouldn;t like to be forced off Plus.net for what is essentially a trivial (though important) reason.

It's extemely inflexible of Plus.net (IMHO) to not offer any form of extra space - 100MB may sound like a lot for most users, but it fills up quickly when PDFs are involved...

Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can I respectfully ask that other companies that do what we do aren't discussed in our forums please?

Ian, it's debatable whether they were doing that.

The OP was asking about hosting up to 500MB without going bankrupt. As your only offering with 500MB is a full business package at a very, very considerable increase in cost I wouldn't say that they are discussing something you do.

There are other posts in this forum to which I think your request would be far more appropriate.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

I'm sure that is the case John - I was just saying as I saw it and making a more general point - I think there was some crossover int he companies, if not the solutions being discussed. Only seeing some things is I guess something that is going to happen when we come and pile into the forums en masse :-) )

I have to go back to my spreadsheets now though - Please carry on!

Cheers,

Ian
Community Veteran

For what it's worth, this is something I suggested all of... oooh... three years ago. Wink

Thomas
N/A

Ian,
For my £0.02 worth, yes we would also be interested in subscribing to an increase in our 500MB storage space.
avalon
Grafter

A bandwidth allowance would also need to come with the extra webspace to be properly usable. eg buy an extra 500Mb of disk space get an extra 5Gb per month bandwidth for your site visitors.
N/A

Hey,

If you want ill host your site for nothing on my dedicated server as its for educational purposes.

add me to MSN welshwizard@gmail.com

Matt