cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting fed up of incorrect P2P readings

N/A

This has been going on since the view internet activities thing has been made available. Since my connection was reset on the 27th i have used P2P once, this being the file:

62.64MB

I come to check my usage and:

I know PN say allow for overheads, but come on. My upload is limited by me to 2kbs, so i cannot physically have uploaded the remained of the usage inside an hour.

Another problem with PN? Is there anything i can get done as the readings have been over double that i have really done for almost 8 weeks. Im on the BB+ package.

Cheers for any advice.
6 REPLIES
N/A

what other stuff do you use? Apart from Email and web? For instance, I only surf the web really, and Playstation2 online - all my PS2 gaming traffic gets classed as "other". It's probably just other stuff you're quite legitimately using but is just being classified wrongly by plusnet.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can you monitor how much your P2P uploads to other users? If P2P is working the way it's supposed to work you should be uploading at least as much as you download so your figures look OK to me.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

it's supposed to work you should be uploading at least as much as you download

Except he isn't doing that. (although he SHOULD).

His upload/download ratio on his picture is 0.2 which means he is uploading only 1/5 of what he is downloading. So he would of only uploaded about 12Mb. (Ignoring of course overheads, connection attempts and scrapped data).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not being a P2P user I'm not familiar with that screenshot.

Do the figures it displays represent an accumulation of all usage over a period or does it just show that session. Data will be uploaded any time the P2P software is running - not just when he's downloading himself. I wonder if that has been taken in to account?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

P2P downloads especially something like BitTorrent will use a lot more bandwidth than the actual file size. The actual data that is made up will consist of several things. There will be the overhead and headers, data sent to and from the tracker (which will continue all the time you are seeding even if you aren't uploading), other people trying to connect to you and other background traffic, retransmissions and pieces that fail the hash check.

Does your P2P client show the total data uploaded and downloaded rather than just the file size? How long have you been seeding the file for, even if it hasn't been uploading?
N/A

My bittorrent client shows that kind of thing.

My client is set to only donlwoad/upload overnight and to stop uploading once it's been shared 1:1

A 450Mb file (tv episode) I generally find i've downloaded around 525 mb and uploaded around 500mb once all is said and done.

So assumiung you share rather than leech you're talking about 1GB for a 450mb file