cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting email to go into a blackhole?

paulus2007
Dabbler

This may seem like a stupid request - but bear with me.

I am seeing a lot of emails purporting to be sent from my account - which they definitely are not - the header shows servers from various places. These are being bounced - but I just do not want to see the "returned" emails. I would like them to be either "bounced back" (i.e. :Fail: in some systems) or to just disappear (i.e. :blackhole: in some systems).

In other words - I only want to see email from mailboxes that I specify (and since I don't use the PlusNet email service I really don't want to see emails from the PlusNet servers!)

I have my own hosting environment that I use for my domains and that obviously includes all the mail capabilities that I require.

Is there any way I can turn off email from unwanted sources??

Thanks

Paul Newlin
( http://newlins.org )
3 REPLIES
N/A

Since you want the *default* mail collection to end up "blackholed" you need to raise a request (whatever the new system calls it!) because the general method of setting a "forward" on a specific mail (to the blackhole facility) won't cover what you're after.

Just remember to add a POP mailbox or forwarding entry for any new mail address you use in future.

On the :fail: or :blackhole: point - I tend to use :blackhole: if lots of different addresses are being hit (one spammer made about 4000 random names alex123 anthea234 etc and added them to some mail list which was sold), so thousands of messages would have been bounced with :fail: and it just boils down to additional load on the mail servers listed for the domain, and greater chance of being blacklisted (if someone misreads the bounce and reports mail from my domain and the IP of the mail server which bounced it to them)
Community Veteran

Just remember that one of your 'named' mailboxes must be postmaster and under the T&C of your account, this must be monitored.

Once yu have setup the mailboxes you need and they have been created, raise a ticket/question and ask for your defaiult mailbox to be blackholed.
paulus2007
Dabbler

Cheesy I was beginning to think that there wasn't that facility on PlusNet....

I've setup a postmaster redirect to my other email facility - so that should cover the email collection bit.

Someone somewhere has been using my account name in vain - it will already be black listed as a spam producer so I need to keep clear of this address...

Thanks for the help...

p.s I keep seeing posters who joined 2002,2003,2004 etc - not many from 2000!! I guess I must be a fairly loyal customer!