cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting cut off and low speeds since October

N/A

Hello.

Users on this forum may know something I don't, but I have been a PlusNet customer for over a year now and though I was very happy with the service, since October it has become a rather unfunny joke.

Our connection gets light usage from the household throughout the day (off-peak), even lighter in the evening off-peak.

Since October, however, off-peak speeds have plummeted (see graphic below), and during peak times the connection constantly cuts out and is so slow as to be useless anyway (often slower than dial-up).

This first speed test was done today after lunch:

The second today, before I logged on to post this topic:

(I never even knew it was possible for ADSL to have faster upload than download speed!)

I am on the Broadband Plus package, and again, I was very happy with it until recently. But I'm on the edge right now. I'm fed up. I may as well forget using the Net from 16:00 to 21:30 (though here I am, soldiering on), which has just got me wondering what I'm paying for.

Many thanks. And since the Advent started on 3 Dec, a Merry Christmas to you. Smiley
16 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I've flagged this to Networks as your experience is certainly poorer than we were expecting to see, especially at this time of day.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,

Just did the same test on the same website as you and got :-

Download 1947 kb/s
Upload 247 kb/s
Latency 29ms

As I am on a 2Mb link this is fine.

When you run the test make sure nothing is running in the background and I would scan for spyware etc as it may be using your connection without you knowing.

I would then raise a call with Plusnet. You may have a BT fault or they may have your profile set up wrongly.
N/A

Thank you for the replies.

Although I can't be 100% sure I don't have malware jacking my connection, I have ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus updated and running, I use Firefox and Thunderbird, and I don't use IM. My email gets scanned once by Norton when it hits the Yahoo! mail server, and once by ZA when it's downloaded. I also use Spybot-S&D.

The modem is an Intel AnyPoint USB ADSL modem. I have swapped out with another modem of the same make and model, and done the same with the filter.

Ultimately, my connection was fine, excellent for about 11 months, then wasn't. I wish I had an exact date, but October is as specific as I can be.
James
Grafter

Are you able to get any results from here and are they considerably better than those results which you have already quoted?
N/A

I share your frustrations.

Excellent connection up to a few months ago, and then suddenly a totally useless connection, its currently downloading at 120k, thats for a upto 8meg broadband connection im paying £44 a month for. It supposed to be a good package with a low contention suitable for people working from home.

There must be other people having the same problem.
James
Grafter

Problem is, tonight we've not been able to replicate this. Dave has dialtested solidsilverlady's account on his own line, and that's working fine. He's currently pulling 512kbps (not on her account) on torrents.

If we could replicate these issues then we'd know there was a definite problem with tonights traffic, but so far we haven't been able to.
N/A

meh...

I get fine speeds up to 4pm then ^^^ Been this way since October too, the only time I went over my limit. Coincidence I think not.
N/A

There's always someone worse off, isn't there. Wink

James, the results of the BT test you linked to:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3232 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 699 kbps

Test carried out about 30 mins ago. The speeds are considerably better than posted previously, yes.
N/A

Sorry mate, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I guess we have a similar situation, I'm in the same boat.
N/A

James Bailey wrote:

Problem is, tonight we've not been able to replicate this. Dave has dialtested solidsilverlady's account on his own line, and that's working fine. He's currently pulling 512kbps (not on her account) on torrents.

So do you not find it strange since that dialtest my line is now working

Download Speed: 1461 kbps (182.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 74 kbps (9.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

upload is not great but we are getting there

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51848&start=0

hell of a difference from last night
N/A

Welcome to "Plusnet" Broadband prices with dialup speeds!
N/A

Oh so slow...
Community Veteran

I find the Derby server itself to be very slow.
Forget using that one and stick with the London one. It seems very much faster.
James
Grafter

Chelle,

Dialtest is not going to make a blind bit of difference to your line. All we did was to use your username and password on Dave's line and ran some speed tests.