Getting Virus from plus.com admin accounts

N/A

Hi there.

I have received 3 e-mails from the following plus.com accounts today:

noreply@plus.com
staff@plus.com
administration@plus.com

These e-mails were warning me that there was a lot of e-mail traffic on my acount being sent with Virus attatchments.

Bit ironic really then that my antivirus program (NOD32) stopped each of these e-mails as they had attatchments infected with Win32/Bagle.M Worm.

mebbe a virus database update is in order....

Andy
6 REPLIES
N/A

They could also be spoof e-mails, created by a virus on someone else's machine, and ripping of email addys from their machine. If you catch my drift.

I seriously doubt PN would e-mail customers with viruses, while trying to trying to warn them about viruses.
csogilvie
Grafter

If it was from PlusNet, it would probably come from @plus.net anyway.
N/A

Final nail in the coffin, to speak.

Do you have virus checking with PN anyway, since these e-mail's would have been picked up before they even reached your computer. All you would have got was an automated messages saying they've been trapped.
N/A

Hi There

These are spoof emails that pick up ceratin details and then send them as if they are from you ISP, best thing is to delete them or apply a virus scanner to your mail to strip them
N/A

Ive had these before, with previous ISP's too. Never figured out though how they manage to get your ISP right, even if it is spelt slightly different. (and i dont mean just on ISP provided emails, even on 3rd party email addresses)
N/A

They work by looking at the address they are sending to. In this case, @username.plus.com

Within the virus, it has a list of TLD's and Sub TLD's(Top Level Domains, like .com, .org, .co.uk, etc). They work out which one is used in your e-mail address, and take the next word.

In this case, it takes .com off, then uses the word "plus". In all, they generate a "@plus.com" address.

If yoru address where fred@uk.excite.co.uk, it would generate a @excite.co.uk address.