cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting PN, BT & BT wholesale to work together

N/A

I recently moved into a new house and decided to up my aging tiscali 56k to broadband and PN offered the best deal, so at the start of the month I signed up. It then turned out the previous occupants had a broadband account previously, and although we have a different number to them, its still showing as a broadband account on the line.

We don't have any contact details for them, and don't know which ISP they were with to get it cancelled. I've been backwards and forwards between PN, B and BT Wholsale trying to get this sorted so I can get my broadband, and finally 2 days ago got given a telephone nmber to call for BT to get the line cleared. Turns out this mus have been part of BT WHolesale as they told me they don't deal with individuals, only ISP's, so I forwarded this number onto PN in the vain hope that a 2 minte phone call would get this all sorted and I could finally get online with a decent connection.

2 days since I passed this on, and still no response. It can't be that hard to pick up the phone and speak to someone, surely?

I'm left wondering before I've even used PN if I've made the right choice going with them as my new ISP if these are the problems I've got before I even get online with them

And if any PN staff read this, all this is in ticket #16774215
12 REPLIES
N/A

Given the problems BT usually manage to have getting dept. A to talk to dept B I'm not suprised... Unfortunatly until BT cease and reprovide the service I'm not sure there is anything PN can do other than to chase BT but unfortunatly BT will move at their own speed.
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear of your problems. This does seem unusual but understandable.

Firstly, you have not made a wrong choie by going with Plus Net. You will find that they will push the boat out to get this one resolved.

The unfortunate position is that there are so many people in the loop. BT, BT Wholesale, the previous occupants ISP and then last but not least Plus Net.

This could prove to be a difficult one but if there is a way to resolve it quickly Plus Net will do it.

You dont say wether you have bought the house or otherwise. i was wondering if, in the case of purchase, your solicitor could contact them or in the case of rented accomodation the landlord. but I'm sure you have tried all of that.

Good luck getting it sorted. I would certainly be interested to hear how it pans out.
N/A

Stick with PN

My dad has been with them for over 12 months with no problems.

I have just moved from Tiscali BB to PN BBPlus (2mb) and it ROCKS! :twisted:
N/A

We bought the house, and if you think a solicitor wouldn't charge to dig out details like that, you're joking!!!

Its just a wee bit annoying that its been a while since I signed up, and it was only two days ago when a ticket was replied to to chase this matter up with BT Wholesale, especially when I've provided them with a direct number to call someone in the provisions section who said it wouldn't take long at all as soon as my ISP (PN) called them.
N/A

We bought the house, and if you think a solicitor wouldn't charge to dig out details like that, you're joking!!!

The details are in his conveyancing papers. If he / she charges you for that they need slapped not paying :lol:

Good luck with it anyway,
N/A

Another day, and still no response from PN about this. PN was recommended to me for a great deal and excellent customer service - I've yet to see either!! Is it really that difficult to telephone a number and ask for a cease on an old acocount, and just update me on whats happening? If I behaved as slack as this in my work I'd have been jobless a long time ago.
Community Veteran

PN won't update the ticket without any info to put on it that is pointless - It's BT you need to moan about.
N/A

So a few days after I spoke to someone at BT who told me if my ISP called them they'd get it sorted, so I passed the number onto PN, and still heard nothing is acceptable?

Even if they just updated the ticket to acknowledge reciept of the number and info it would make me feel a bit better about the situation. I'm seriously considering cancelling with PN and going with BT, if it means I can actually get a broadband connection.

edit: also its now been 2 weeks since I first applied for broadband with PN, and as yet I don't even know if they asked BT wholesale to put a cease on the ex-tenants old account.
Community Veteran

O.k. fair enough I only skimmed you original post sorry. Shockedops:

Ben, Bob, Dave any comment?
N/A

It is highly unlikely BT Wholesale are going to be willing to talk to PlusNet about this matter either.

Whilst the BTW & PN relationship means that only they can talk to each other, it does not however allow PlusNet to talk to them about services provided by another provider.

For one, this prevents dodgey ISPs calling BTW and snatching service from another provider, like the illegal tactics sales people used to use in switching gas & electric customers.

One thing I didn't quite see clear above, is how your number was obtained. You say it is a different phone number to those used by the previous occupants?

However, the number you do have, have you had this previously? Or is it new (aka, neither you have used it in the past nor it being assined to the previous occupants)?

Based on that, there are a few possible conslusions here. I will basicly answer your reply before you make it Cheesy

If the number is different to that of the previous occupant, then it was not there own broadband connection causing the problem.

The BT database stores ADSL allocations based on the phone number and not the curcuit. In other words, the allocation is from the previous owner of the number and not the previous occupant of the property.

If you have had this number previously, then there are funny things happening. As in the above statement, ADSL is allocated to a phone number and not the curcuit. This means that ADSL might have been allocated to your line previously.

This has been known to happen with some ISPs (to name 2, AOL & Tiscali, however, there are likely more) where you maker a broadband enquiry with them.

If the number is new, then there are two possible conclusions.
1: As above, the previous owner has had ADSL

2: It is easily possible that the number has been out of use for such a period of time, that no line data is held on record at BT Wholesale (for ADSL purposes).

In the case of number 2, I am not sure if this shows up as an incompatible product (the normal sign of an existing service) or an invalid number.

If it is an incompatible service, it can take some weeks to clear, but will happen automaticaly.
N/A

It's a new number we have, I purposely didn't want to take our old number as I heard of problems with getting broadband with a number held at a different exchange.

A glimmer of hope today - after speaking to both PN and BT on the phone (PN = very helpful, BT = the rudest woman I've had the displeasure to speak to, and had to wait for her manager to call me back), PN are chasing up Wholesale, and the manager from BT saw that a cease had been issued on the 8th June, but couldn't explain why no action had been taken on it, but he was personally going to follow this up with wholesale. He said as it was a new number the account should have been fully cleared, but it was still showing an old broadband account (although he couldn't/wouldn't tell me which ISP).

As to it being anything else, all the other checks came back fine, and I can actually see the exchange from my window, its in the next street over so getting the full 2mb is no problem either,
N/A

First off, don't be so quick to claim you can get 2Mb because you can see the exchange. Long story, thats well documented accross the forums, but silly legacy planning restrictions meant a friend within a stoned throw, could only just manage ADSL, let alone 2Mb.

BT are correct in saying an automatic cease will have been applied to the order, and is very likely it has been seen to already.

The problem is, it can take some time to filter through all of the needed databases.

The good news is things are progressing at what looks like a pace that will see you get a date for activation soon enough.