cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

!! Get 24 MBit/Sec ADSL 2+ Now for only ~£25.50pcm !!

N/A

:shock: Only if you live down under ... Sad

Just came accross this when searching for info on the zyxel media bandwidth management...

http://www.kern.com.au/pricingadsl_home2.html

Now I aint too bothered about speeds that high on the downstream.. but 1 MBit/s upstream sounds NICE! and at that price!!! Free upgrade too PlusNet!

Why can we never lead in this country?? grr

Pete.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Re: !! Get 24 MBit/Sec ADSL 2+ Now for only ~£25.50pcm !!

:shock: Only if you live down under ... Sad

Just came accross this when searching for info on the zyxel media bandwidth management...

http://www.kern.com.au/pricingadsl_home2.html

Now I aint too bothered about speeds that high on the downstream.. but 1 MBit/s upstream sounds NICE! and at that price!!! Free upgrade too PlusNet!

Why can we never lead in this country?? grr

Pete.

but look at the limits 40 gig at that speed you could use it in a couple of days & be stuck on 64k for the remainder of their monthly timeblock. My brother has 8 meg download & 1.5 meg upload & is still restricted to 40 gig download a month. What use is that if you want to download a load of stuff, stick with the no limits.
Firejack
Grafter

The information I have indicates we will have ADSL2 24Mbit/1Mbit available in the UK before the end of the year. All of the LLU exchanges with Easynet's equipment installed are ADSL2 ready. They are just waiting for final approval from the telecommunications regulators.

As for you and I. ADSL2 on BT's network is still someway off. The MaxDSL trials are pretty much keeping BT's focus off ADSL2. The rumour mill surrounding BT adopting ADSL2 suggest they are dragging their feet of the final specification ADSL2 they are willing to offer in terms of speeds to customers. Very annoying.

Currently I'm on 512Kbit/256Kbit ADSL with Plusnet like I have been for the last 3 or 4 years. The problem with my connection is I always run out of upstream bandwidth long before downstream. Ok I know I'm an irregular customer but it would be nice for someone out there to supply a service with 10Mbit both ways.
N/A

I'm currently on 56k dial-up, and I use quite alot of bandwidth as it is, I download many, many files each month and if I had 24mbps I would use ALOT more, so it would be pretty pointless if it were to be limited on bandwidth.

I saw they have a 24mbps package with 500mb bandwidth limit. Now that I see as been completely rediculous. 500mb would not even last a few hours! Seriously, that is probably one of the most messed up packages I have ever seen, it has caused me personal distress! Evil

As for their other packages, I may as well fall over and die. Damn I feel sorry for whoever go on this ISP.

-Williams1662
N/A

Yeh - i noticed the limits. But for comparisons sake, it puts us to shame....

It's big companies like BT dragging their feet that make the "Great" in "Great" Britain completely incredible; almost embarasing.

PS - you're not alone - i always max out my upstream too. 256kbit/s isn't broadband it's what people sometimes refer to as "midband".

I really wish ofcom et al would basically take the tax payers network off BT Telecommunications and stop them drilling people for overpriced and outdated products.

Pete.
N/A

It's not the taxpayers network, it's BTs network. no tax payers money went into creating it, it was all done by BT.

Also, most of BTs prices and products are controlled by ofcom etc so they're actually one of the reasons we don't currently have a better telecoms network and more recent products
painswck
Grafter

Re: !! Get 24 MBit/Sec ADSL 2+ Now for only ~£25.50pcm !!

:shock: Only if you live down under ... Sad .

Or if you read only if you live in one city down under. We critise the LLU operators here for cherry picking but how much easier if you only worry about one city?

As someone else asked what good is 500M a month. Just for browsing and email? Absolute max is 40G before throttling. Yes nice speed but don't use it.
N/A

It's not the taxpayers network, it's BTs network. no tax payers money went into creating it, it was all done by BT.

Also, most of BTs prices and products are controlled by ofcom etc so they're actually one of the reasons we don't currently have a better telecoms network and more recent products

Excuse me but you must be too young to remeber that the vast majority of the infrastructure was put in at tax payers expense by the post office.
LiamM
Grafter

True.

The initial network was put in by the GPO with extra funding from the Government. Truth is, however, the majority of that network does not remain and it's BT that have footed all the costs of upgrades and rolling out fibre core routes etc...
N/A

have a look here for a new 24mbit connection coming soon http://www.adslguide.org.uk/, i tell you what if my exchange is enabled to take speeds up to 24mbit i be of in a shot to be honest and the way things are going it will be next year when we get the 8mbit, unless of course bulldog or easynet would like to enable my exchange before that time hehe
N/A

Guys, I hate to rain on peoples parades but...

Alot of websites can just about cope with the demands placed on them by broadband users at current speeds, if we all get faster speeds then all the sites we use will also need massive pipe increases - and while the bottom end is moving upwards in speeds the top end isn't moving as fast... thus even with faster speeds you won't get the improvements you expect.

A number of sites I download from at work (kernel.org for one and its mirrors) don't go any faster than my home 2meg link, and we've got an OC34 link at work...
(I've been in late grabbing things for work and don't get much improvements so it is not down to number of users chewing up the bandwidth).
craigbrass
Grafter

Altho I am one who hates BT for several reasons, it is the regulators that are slowing down broadband in the UK. They do alot of tests to make sure it won't interfere with phone lines first aparently.