cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic customer support

N/A

Generic customer support

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support

Cheers Guys! A 66 % speed drop for the past three weeks is acceptable.

How about a 66% decrease in my month direct debit?

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that we all got the "Plusnet is soooo sorry E-mail"
17 REPLIES
N/A

Generic customer support

Hello

I do understand you worries however this problem is with BT not Plusnet.

BT set the limits for what is acceptable and what is not on a line.

I am sure someone here will post you the link to the BT Wholesale site for the exact details. I can't find it.

All ISP's have to work within the BT guidelines unless you have been LLU'ed then I would kick off.

Annette
N/A

Generic customer support

Whats LLU?

Sorry if I'm being stoooopid
N/A

Generic customer support

'Local Loop Unbundled' or somthing like that. Once your exchange has been LLU'ed Plusnet can move you from a BT service to another providor.

It just means that your service would not be being provided by BT but by Tiscali.

I think Plusnet are just using Tiscali at the moment to supply Broadband but I could be wrong.

Annette
N/A

Generic customer support

Its been over three weeks at 80kbps max (day or night)

I am loosing patience, I have 3 Plusnet accounts I pay for (Home/Work/Mum) and have recommended many other users who will change if I tell them of a better ISP. Plusnet will loose at least 6 accounts if this goes on.

Who else do you recommend? I don't care about cost - just fast speeds and good usage limits

mac x 6 please!!!
N/A

Generic customer support

I have been looking around and at the moment it is either Zen (expencive) or Eclipse (lots of friends work their)

Annette
N/A

Generic customer support

Its been over three weeks at 80kbps max (day or night)

I am loosing patience, I have 3 Plusnet accounts I pay for (Home/Work/Mum) and have recommended many other users who will change if I tell them of a better ISP. Plusnet will loose at least 6 accounts if this goes on.

Who else do you recommend? I don't care about cost - just fast speeds and good usage limits

mac x 6 please!!!

katiecox,

is this actually 80kbps or 80 Kb/s as the two values couldnt be any more different if you tried.

if the value you were quoting is indeed 80kb/s then your syncing at somewhere near 640kbps which unfortunately does mean ( according to the powers that be at BT ) that you have a fully working line.
Basically the kbps value is one which your modem or router would sync with the internet at with whilst the Kb/s value is shown when downloading items.

If its a line problem then no ISP in the world could get a better value for you no matter how much you paid or migrated, but perhaps you could do a little investigative work which could help you.

If you have as yet not done a BT speed test ( on the BT network link below for reference ) then you should attempt this to see what readings you get. If the readings ( which will be shown in a kbps form ) are what you would normally see or expect from your line then the problem is with Plusnet, if it is not then its either BT or an item of equipment. If your unsure of the kbps and if it is what you would normally obtain then for a very rough crude estimate divide the figure by 8, for example 512 divided by 8 gives 64. Please note the actual download figure would be 55 and not 64 but you get the general idea I think.

How to do a BT speed test

If you wish to test further then you could use the test socket ( located behind the face plate on the master socket ), a different filter, a different router or modem ( perhaps borrowed from a friend ) etc.

There was one person the other day who had speed problems, a simple router reboot worked wonders so its always worth looking further.

Anyway I will leave my peace there and I hope you manage to discover a more precise cause of your speed problems Smiley .

Regards,
N/A

Generic customer support

Did several router restarts until the gateway I was using changed and this got me back to almost normal speeds. However this was short lived and I am stuck with a slow connection once again.

If its all mine and my hardwares fault how come changing the gateway gave me a 200% speed increase instantly? (if only for an hour)
essenby
Grafter

Generic customer support

I think there are problems with BT, both with the actual service and with the "Service" they provide support wise. I think (as alluded to elsewhere) the sheer number of problems is overwhelming their ability to investigate and resolve issues. (Where have we seen that before :!: ) In your particular case I think the problem hinges on :-
Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found
Looks Like BT could not find any (recent) speedtest results (did you complete the required 3 tests, 30 mins apart and 1 between midnight and 06:00?) and used this as an excuse not to investigate, hence
this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance
I too had exactly the same wording on my most recent ticket. Trouble was - I'd only raised the ticket to ask why my earlier ticket had been closed after they identified a fault existed and requested a date/time to call to investigate. The visit never took place but the call was closed anyway! Still trying - valiantly - to get them to re-open it
N/A

Generic customer support

Did several router restarts until the gateway I was using changed and this got me back to almost normal speeds. However this was short lived and I am stuck with a slow connection once again.

If its all mine and my hardwares fault how come changing the gateway gave me a 200% speed increase instantly? (if only for an hour)

Katie ( im assuming this is your name ),

I was neither stating that there was or wasnt a problem with your hardware. But going on the original info your supplied I merely posed this as a possible try to see if it offered a solution.

If indeed you did get a different gateway and your speed increased what would help you is to do some tracert's and speed tests to support this and then offer this to plusnet. If your getting better speeds via one gateway and not another this then would lean towards a gateway load issue and so PN need to advise.

Regards,
N/A

Generic customer support

Sorry to jump at you but this getting very frustating. I have done several speed tests throughout the day/night and am back to 1/2 MB speeds again. Have tried to reboot modem to change gateway but it keeps me on the same one. I know my line can be much quicker, It was always 2MB for the past year without ever a fault and for an hour last night.

My name is Chris, Katie is the user name for my home account (I have three seperate Accounts)
N/A

Generic customer support

Hi Chris.

What speed tests have you run and can you post them to this thread?

Have you run the BT test as recommended by Tom. This test will help us narrow down where the problem lies and will help point the finger reasonably acurately.

What modem / router are you using? Does it give you your line stats?
N/A

Generic customer support

Hi Chris.

What speed tests have you run and can you post them to this thread?

Have you run the BT test as recommended by Tom. This test will help us narrow down where the problem lies and will help point the finger reasonably acurately.

What modem / router are you using? Does it give you your line stats?

These are the Plusnet Speed reports

You will see an increase in speed when I changed gateway (short lived however)
13-08-2006 21:47:17 562.6
12-08-2006 00:52:32 724.7
12-08-2006 00:50:38 758
11-08-2006 20:01:58 652.9
11-08-2006 16:35:56 813.4
11-08-2006 10:51:12 820.9
11-08-2006 00:01:33 1648.3
10-08-2006 23:58:16 1670.2
10-08-2006 23:39:06 652.1
10-08-2006 23:33:51 576.1
10-08-2006 22:40:38 616.1

BT sppedtest was 544.0

I use a netgear DG834GT wireless router and a WG111T usb adapter

Hope you can help

My connection has been faultless for as long as I can remember before this
N/A

Generic customer support

All the BT speed tests have been well below normal speeds.

Does this mean the fault lies with them (BT) or my PC/Hardware?
Community Veteran

Generic customer support

If the speed changes occur when you change gateway, would this not suggets that somewhere on pn's robust system their are two different speed profiles registered to you.

I guess each gateway has to check a record somewhere on the system to know which speed to connect you at.

Could it be that like other PN systems the mirrored image / copy of the speed profiles are not the same.

If you have 3 different accounts have you accidenatly confused things by using the wrong details on the wrong login. Not sure if it's possible but it might be.

I suggest you raise a ticket and mention about the differences between gateways. PN would then be able to check their system from the times you logged on nd make the necessary changes.

A