cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question - PCI or USB

N/A

General Question - PCI or USB

Does anyone have a view on what is better - I have the PCI Connexant modem suplied by plus.net when I originally signed upto ADSL - but I also have a brand new DSL-200 USB modem. Which is better to use? I just wonder if anyone has comments.

Thanks
Dave
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: General Question - PCI or USB

> Does anyone have a view on what is better - I have the PCI Connexant modem suplied by plus.net when I originally signed upto ADSL - but I also have a brand new DSL-200 USB modem. Which is better to use? I just wonder if anyone has comments.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

I would take the view 'if it aint broke, don't try to fix it'

Is it Broken ?

Bill
N/A

Bill,

No not broken (yet anway) - but am about to format hard drive as a spring clean - and reload all my s/w in a more structured way as now have over 200GB space of hard drives!! 1 80GB and 1 120GB.

So wondered do I leave the PCI card in or wire up the DLink DSL-200 USB modem - I have tried both and both work fine.

Just something thought I'd ask as now have opportunity to tidy up my PC.

Thanks

Regards
Dave
N/A

> Does anyone have a view on what is better - I have the PCI Connexant modem suplied by plus.net when I originally signed upto ADSL - but I also have a brand new DSL-200 USB modem. Which is better to use? I just wonder if anyone has comments.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

I would go PCI myself. If you are an online gamer then in theory you should get a slightly better ping with PCI - the PCI interface is much faster at data transfer than USB. Nevertheless, ADSL is much slower than the data transfer rate than both USB and PCI, so maybe the improvement is minimal.

Also if you have a VIA chipset mobo, then avoid USB even if you have the latest 4 in 1's

N/A

>
> Thanks
> Dave

Horses for courses really. I have gone for the PCI because it is tidier and one less box to have sat around.

There really is so little difference in performance so it is really up to you. I would go with what has already been said in that if it aint broke dont fix it but it sounds like you have a shiny new modem that you want to try!
N/A

Yep - correct - have shiny new modem (always buying new things!!).

Thanks for the info about Via though, I have a AMD PC and did not know about that. What problems do you get if connected up USB with via drivers?

Thanks
Dave
N/A

Dave,

Slightly away from the point, but, can you run 2 DSL modems on one line if you have got two pc's ?

Bill
N/A

>
> Dave,
>
> Slightly away from the point, but, can you run 2 DSL modems on one line if you have got two pc's ?
>
>
> Bill

Bill,

No too sure about that running 2 USB modems - that's what ADSL routers are for - ADSL coming in and then split to many pc's.

I am sure there are well qualified people in this forum that could answer that question far better than I can.

Regards
Dave
N/A

> Yep - correct - have shiny new modem (always buying new things!!).
>
> Thanks for the info about Via though, I have a AMD PC and did not know about that. What problems do you get if connected up USB with via drivers?
>
> Thanks
> Dave

The situation with VIA is that in some cases the chipset supplies insufficient voltage/current to the USB ports, therefore if you have a device attached that draws a fair amount of power (or a number of devices collectively that do) then you can experience lockups and failures etc. A workaround is to buy a powered USB hub if needs must.

N/A

Justin,

Thanks for the info - was not aware. I will keep an eye on my USB modem if I decide to go down that route.

Regards
Dave
oliverb
Grafter

NO

ADSL is a point to point system, one point is at the exchange, the other is your ADSL adapter/router.

>
> Dave,
>
> Slightly away from the point, but, can you run 2 DSL modems on one line if you have got two pc's ?
>
>
> Bill