Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gateways being used for Online Gamers

N/A

Evening All...

Time for tonights Poll.

Can everyone perform a trace to game servers and submit the results to try and highlight the issue with +net.

Its been noted that a couple of the gateways have been performing particularly badly for gamers.

Can I ask that only those who have been seeing poor latency (being kicked for too high a ping or lag in general) post their gateway in the poll.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Bob,

Plus Net are well aware that there is an issue with gaming. The last update stated that they were carrying out some tests.

We have raised this several times in PUG and are painfully aware that an update is overdue.

Maybe we'll get an explaination as to why the Telehouse east routers are performing in the way that they are. The other aspect is that some gamers reported an improvement since the last issues, so it may be gateway specific.

With any luck we'll get some info tomorrow.
N/A

There's nothing mentioned in the service status pages about gaming being affected.

Shouldnt they keep customers "in the loop" about this?

Just another failing of CS though.....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mark,

It isn't a problem with gaming - there's a generic problem with the pte gateways which can be seen in tracerts. Today we had a (long overdue) service status posting that said it was fixed and all was well.

Not surprising that people are pissed off!

Edit for spelling
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Agreed.

It has been dragging on with little in the way of answers coming forward.
N/A

To be honest, plusnet dont know their asses from their elbows. I have been having problems with those gateways since I joined and I even told them it has something to do with this and yet I have seen no improvement, infact it has got worse!!!
I just hope the people in charge of fixing this arnt the same people who answer their tech support lines!!
N/A

Yep, pings on the PTE gateways are hopeless. If my router ever goes down I keep reconnecting until I get on PTN. Its about time this was sorted to be honest.
N/A

Yeh. I've been sticking with the PTN gateways because gaming isnt doing 2 much on the PTE 1's

With the PTN 1's to a uk server i'm getting about 30m~45ms ping times which is fine. Well over 150 on PTE gateways :/
N/A

Just come up with an idea, however this is a bit of a guess so confirmation would be good, I am thinking that the PTE gateways are the ones fed by the 155Mbps Centrals and the PTN are fed by the 622Mbps in which case I wonder if it is bad load balancing between the 155 & 622 centrals (with the issue being the latter being 4x bigger but maybe the 155's are not only holding 1/4 of the load of each 622 as a properly balanced system would expect and probably need.)

If I am right would probably be good to compare not only the pings of PTE & PTN but also the relative difference between the peak time slowdowns.
N/A

Plus Net binned the 155's over a year ago. They only have 622's in service.

They retained two redbacks to act as back ups if needed but they use the Junipers, exclusively.

More info here courtesy of kitz.
N/A

I cant check this, if i click on 'where am i connected' it tells me i can connected via "blank" and that i am not a plus.net customer Smiley

Now if only i can tell that to the accounts department... hmmmmm muhahahaha
N/A

A new juniper (6) was commissioned within the last week or so in Telehouse North. The gateway checker hasnt been updated to recognise it yet, but I understand that will happen soon.