cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming

N/A

Gaming

Never been to these forums before and haven't read any post as i dont have time so sorry if this has already been posted.

I keep getting lag spikes while trying to play Counter Strike, these spikes last about 2/3 seconds and occur every minute or two.

Ive tried three different modems and two dfferent firewalls. It never use to be as bad as it has been in the last month or so.

World of Warcraft is fine however.

any suggestions please? Why is might be only Counter Strike or how i could fix it. Thank you.
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Gaming

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

We have been looking at reports of increased ping time in games, we believe that most issues should now be fixed but do want to work with anyone that's seeing problems still.

Some of the testing we've been doing is to try and see where the latency issues are coming from.

One good test is to sign up to www.l8nc.com, this will ping your connection throughout the day and record the latency.

From there if while gaming you can also run something like Ping Plotter to the game server this will record the latency between you and the server.

If you can give these a go and note the times you see problems it might help us to find the cause.
N/A

Gaming

ok ill give that a go, i bought a router the other day but im still getting the same problem, also tried playing on a different PC

i tried out a few other games but i only get this problem in counter strike, seems very strange

thanks
windsurf
Dabbler

lag Spikes

I'm getting the same behaviour - everything is fine for about 10 minutes (<40ms ping) and then a short 2-3 second lag spike hits me with 300-400ms latency. Unfortunately on the game I play, that means I get kicked which is very frustrating. If I reconnect seconds later, I am usually OK for another 5-10 minutes. Playing an on-line game where you get kicked off every 10 minutes is not a barrel of laughs...

I also use teamspeak at the same time and it manages to hold the connection. Are there any issues with running a networked game (with servers in Germany) and teamspeak at the same time. For the record, I have tried playing without teamspeak and the problem still happens.

This sort of problem occurred a while back but seemed to get fixed. It all started when F9 switched to monitored usage... I know there is a lot of marketing going about concerning the wonders of 8Mb links but at this rate I would prefer a reliable 1Mb link over intermittent 8Mb any day.
windsurf
Dabbler

Gaming

Further to the above, I have done as you suggested and used Ping Plotter to watch the connection while gaming. Here are a couple of PNG files showing some problem areas. I hope this helps in finding the problem.

Here's a trace of my local connection using L8NC - (I've clipped out the early hours of this morning and this evening to shorten it a bit). It would interesting to compare these results with other users.

http://www.windsurf.force9.co.uk/img/ping-graph.htm
N/A

Gaming

I have been getting the same sort of problems over the past 2/3 days and I do not play games.
N/A

Gaming

i play counterstrike most evenings and i find that i do not get any Lag spikes. i get a very low latency and dont get any problems. my normal ping on any server is 10-15 and it doesnt change that much, being that im on a USB modem
N/A

Gaming

Yea i've beem getting lag spikes on CSS recently too. Usually at peak times, I have to disconnect then reconnectdue to ping and latency of 500+ Slightly annoying as I play in a league, the majority of the time though my ping is fine.
ed
Grafter

Gaming

have you looked at your routers logs to see if you have been under DOS attack from somone?

If you e-mailed someone even from somewhere, even an anonymous mail like @yahoo.co.uk, they can see your IP address by looking at the headers file and if you visit a website the owner can see your IP in his logs and obviously if you host a game (like i do) then everyone knows it to connect.

Then while you're fighting they can gain advantage by running a Denial Of Service attack on your router to slow it up and give you more latency than they have. I often see such strategies mainly from Brazilian, Polish and Swedish/Norway players.

My shiney new DG834PN router seems to have a much faster CPU and has no problem bouncing DOS off the port I just have to worry now that I might be billed for it under the fair usage scheme :/