cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming performance is SHOCKING!

N/A

Image Viewable Here

Look at that, me pinging my favorite cs server.

Plus.net don't blame the server
Don't blame me
Don't blame my hardware

These pings show the exact problem, its fine for a second or two, then a major lag spike, then find again. This makes online games UNPLAYABLE!!!

Your service is disgraceful, i have waited MONTHS for this to be fixed, but nothing has happened. Now i wait for your usual reply of absolute rubbish.

Either fix this or people will leave and go elsewhere. This is meant to be DSL but Dial up was far more reliable! In my opinion you've gone from great to unacceptable.

Its true that good things never last, unless you pay lots for it Evil

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): I have linked your image to the page as it was severly stretching the page. If you resize your image to a more acceptable size you may display it again.]
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Can you run a tracert/mtr to the server as well, and run a comparison to 212.159.6.9 (one of our DNS servers)? This should give an indication of where the high pings are happening in the network.

Are you seeing any issues with speed at all? If so try our speedtester, the ADSLGuide speedtester and if they are both low, the BT Speedtester

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

as well and the results should help.
N/A

With many mtr's and traceroutes I've been running recently, I get an immediate spike with packetloss on the first hop (to, for example, lo0-plusnet.pte-ag1.plus.net) then things calm down. I guess it could be nothing though.

On another note I guess it's getting more and more difficult to pin down issues with possible incorrect prioritisation of traffic, or spikes caused by this prioritisation, as these will likely not show up with traditional network tools. I could run mtr and the base network would look fine and those packets could be let through quickly and easily, but if there's problems with the latency of a particular protocol, that would only show up when using that protocol.

Here's an mtr run, no packet loss on this, the odd spike though.
                                       Packets               Pings

Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst
1. 192.168.254.254 0.0% 200 1.9 2.8 1.7 30.3
2. lo0-plusnet.pte-ag1.plus.net 0.0% 200 18.0 32.7 16.7 451.2
3. ge0-0-0-403.pte-gw2.plus.net 0.0% 200 22.6 23.3 16.1 180.1
4. ptn-cdns01.plus.net 0.0% 199 17.2 23.0 16.1 154.9
N/A

I've been doing traceroutes that look normal but joining a server or even looking at the game server list shows high ms.

Everything seems to have returned to normal over the last half hour.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Problems like this are generally going to be caused by one of the following

Customer Equipment
BT Wholesale Network
PlusNet Network (including Ellacoyas)
Transit Links
Game Server

Depending on how the various speedtests and mtr/tracert's go you can help to rule in/out some of these as a cause. For example, slow speed on the BT speedtester points towards the first two, whereas normal tracert outside the game to the game server but high ingame ping may indicate the problem is within our network or the game server, while an MTR may show the latency increases at some point on the transit link.

Essentially though, the more information we can collect, the easier it is to diagnose the exact cause.
N/A

Very true, the more information the better.

Many problems can be isolated with traditional tools. I just hope that customers get more information about the way traffic is being handled soon Wink