cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming issue on usage again!

dennisb66
Grafter

Previously on BB+ I had Gaming usage which I never used.I was told that if i transfered to BBYW this would never happen again.However, although I am now on BBYW2 i have now got 37% gaming on Peak Time.I will now repeat myself and say I never use any type of Gaming,also my router is encrypted against anyone trying to piggy back.Will someone PLEASE resolve this problem. I had just decided to transfer my phone service over,but I think I will put that on hold for the time being. Cry
8 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Do the overall usage figures correlate with what you actually use?

It could be that you are using a different protocol on a port which is primarily used for gaming, which would actually work to your advantage as the traffic identified as gaming would get the highest priority.
dennisb66
Grafter

Hi Mand,...It looks like you might be correct. Shockedops: at around 17.30 yesterday I started a P2P download,I thought my schedule was set to OFFPEAK however on checking I see it wasn't.I used 1.56GB offpeak so the remaining 4.06GB must have been in peaktime.I noticed on my graph that my d/load speeds were the best ever,averaged 150KB/s so I was dead chuffed untill I saw my usage. I will keep a check on this.
Thanks for your quick reply.
Mand
Grafter

Glad you found the cause. What P2P client are you using?
dennisb66
Grafter

Hi Mand, I use utorrent.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Having read this, one thing concerns me though.

It's not the first thread I've read where traffic is incorrectly classifed depending on what signatures may or may not have been applied to the Ellacoyas, and of course people notice this checking the traffic type when viewing their usage.

PlusNet's general response seems to be "Our equipment must not be classifying it correctly, we'll look into it".

In the OP's case, it incorrectly classified the traffic as a higher priority and was to their advantage. However I find it hard to believe that the reverse situation has not happened at some point where gaming traffic is classified as lower priority. Still at least I now know where some of the gaming problems are coming from :roll:

And since the added BBYW http source-based priority of sites and servers, personally it doesn't give me much confidence PlusNet could accurately identify such traffic, for the unknown reason they choose to do so.

I thought deep packet inspection was involved (or maybe that was just Ellacoyas press release, not how it works in reality), so why are ports involved?

Sorry to kind of rant hijack another thread again, but I really don't understand it.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi Mand, I use utorrent.

Would you mind trying another download to see if this is still happening? Try partially downloading the Knoppix torrent here which is pretty well seeded.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I think this is just down to hope BitTorrent works. I've been looking at this because I've seen similar on my own account.

The way BitTorrent works is that when you are downloading a file you will connect to a number, possibly hundreds of peers some you will upload data to and some you will download data from and some you won't do either.

Every one of these peers could potentially use a different port so you end up with hundreds of connections going back and forth to different people all across the board of ports.

Occassionally one of these flows of traffic can match against a gaming signature and be classed as gaming because of how the signatures are designed to pick up gaming traffic.

However I find it hard to believe that the reverse situation has not happened at some point where gaming traffic is classified as lower priority.

If the game is defined in the Ellacoya database then it shouldn't happen the other way around because of how it checks the traffic against the signatures

I thought deep packet inspection was involved (or maybe that was just Ellacoyas press release, not how it works in reality), so why are ports involved?

It uses a combination of ports and and DPI. For example, SSH by default uses port 22, so you would expect a fair amount of the traffic on port 22 to be SSH so it will check that against the signature for SSH, if it isn't that's when it checks against other signatures or use DPI to determine the traffic. The DPI is the most CPU intensive part of the detection so no need to use it each and every time because you can match certain traffic against a signature by checking if that traffic matches the default signature for that port.
dennisb66
Grafter

Hi Bob, as requested I d/loaded 100mb of Knoppix between 8 and 9pm last night. At first the d/load speed shot up to 170KB/s but after a short time it suddenly dropped to 23KB/s and remained there abouts.(did someone flick a switch).
My summary of activities records 333MB of paid for usage for friday,
Gaming records 32.91%,not as simple to work out as the old usage which quoted actual rather than percentage.
P2P records 10% (I assume this is the 100MB d/load)
WEB records 2%
Other records 5%
FTP records 1%
Total 50% Paid for usage

Hope this is some help Bob. :lol: