Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Traffic

Studio_Two
Grafter

Gaming Traffic

Hello,

At the moment I'm quite satisfied with the "new" service from PlusNet (Broadband Premier Option 1). The "off-peak" service for downloads is particularly good. However, whilst most downloads can be arranged overnight, I think that streaming media (such as BBCi) could well pose a problem in future.

The usage figures are now much easier to understand.

I DO have a question about the "View Internet Activities" breakdown screen. At the moment, this is showing about 500Mb for "gaming".

Any ideas what type of traffic this is? Online gaming of any description is not something i have used at all.

TIA
Stephen
8 REPLIES
N/A

Gaming Traffic

The machines that track what usage is being used on what protocols is a little.. "poor" sometimes at correctly recognising things correctly. With new programs and protocols coming out each day they will constantly play 'catch-up' with them and will sometimes detect one thing as something else.

Unless there is a noticable different in what you think you have used (overall) and what has been stated, its best to just take it with a pinch of salt.
N/A

Gaming Traffic

The problem is that the identification of types of traffic has become core to the way in which PlusNet manage their network and therefore our traffic. The new VMBU has had some erm.. teething issues but it would seem that for the most part mine is now doing a pretty good job, so well done there PlusNet Smiley The real issue that comes up IMHO is that customers could have their traffic mis-identified or not identified and therefore not correctly prioritised.
There really is a need for a proper tool for both Support and customers to use to query types of traffic (by name of application and details such as ports and protocols used) if this is going to be how usage is governed.
N/A

Gaming Traffic

Sadly, that is very true.
I have a hell of a lot of usage that is classed as "other" and yes ok this could just be down to encryped p2p traffic, but there is a lot of other items that are just "wrong" too.

I really dont know how i've transferred over a GIG of gaming traffic and although i've not used any ftps (not even download liks via the web) i've somehow uses a few dozen Mb's.

I did ask what would happen if for example i booted up BF2 one day and couldnt connect to it at peak times, however i could at off peak and was told flat out that "if it was mis-identified then, no, you wouldnt be able to play your game peak time". Which is worrying :S

Mind you, if you use p2p at peak time then you're laughing really because im sure that 14Gb of my "other" might just be that that wouldnt get blocked. Shame i dont use it peak time really Tongue
N/A

Gaming Traffic

Thankfully 'other' is given an average priority, so for a lot of things it won't matter too much, at least off-peak.
The problem comes with traffic which does need to be prioritised, latency sensitive applications. For these we are totally blinded and dependant upon Ellacoya working with developers and PlusNet implementing the updates. The biggest games, most common VOIP, etc that have been out for some time will probably be fine for the most part, but Ellacoya can never know about every application out there and be on top of it, far from it. I'd like to know that anything I am using is being identified properly and if not help ensure it is. Unfortunately I have no faith in the CSC Agents ability to know anything about this or the inner workings of network traffic analysis.
willhome
Grafter

Gaming Traffic

if u want to find out what the 500mb is. try downloading a netlimiter trial and running it on your computer. what program gives out the same amount of usage as the gaming u get?
N/A

Gaming Traffic

In my case it picked up WoW traffic as gaming but Planetside traffic has been falling into other rather than gaming, Is other silver rather than gold ?
N/A

Gaming Traffic

As far as I know yes. In other words it looks as if Planetside traffic is not being properly prioritised so you may experience higher in-game pings and increased latency especially during peak times when the network is at it's busiest.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gaming Traffic

In my case it picked up WoW traffic as gaming but Planetside traffic has been falling into other rather than gaming, Is other silver rather than gold ?

I suggest you raise a ticket to query this. They should be able to get it added to the signatures.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)