cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games disconnect adsl?

N/A

Games disconnect adsl?

Every time I start a game like HL2 or FEAR the ADSL line disconnects. The DSL light dies and the connection redials. I just have a straight connection from pc to micro filter to socket no routers etc.

Any ideas people please?
8 REPLIES
N/A

hmmm

Are you using a USB Modem ?

Or a wired/wireless router ?

if its USB, it could well be the game is using all your CPU cycles preventing the USB modem from doing its work.

how odd..
N/A

Games disconnect adsl?

Hi

Yes it a USB voyager 105.

I thought the fault might be because the games i.e HL2 and FEAR where trying to connect to the internet for multiplayer. Since then it does it on Oblivion as well which isnt an internet game?

Might try a format and reinstall. Although I have been getting quite a lot of disconnects full stop since signing up with plusnet (5 days). I put this down to the upgrades they are doing, perhaps not?
N/A

ermm

a format and re-install could well be A WASTE OF TIME.

try borrowing a hardware modem/router and try that first..

Basically your machine gets maxed out playing the game and then the USB modem nay not have enought processing power left over to correctly talk to the internet.
N/A

Games disconnect adsl?

Ok thanks. I have a few adsl modems and switches to mess about with. These random line dropouts are beggining to bug me though, just typing away and the line dropsHuh?
UberMensch
Grafter

Games disconnect adsl?

If this has been happening ever since your joined PlusNet, your line could have a fault (maybe)

As for routers, I'd highly recommend a Netgear DG834. Wireless version (if you must) is the DG834g I think.
N/A

Games disconnect adsl?

I have the same problem with Battlefield2, I'm disconnected after a few minutes everytime. It's been happening ever since I was 'upgraded' to MaxDSL.

I'm currently using a usb modem but have ordered a Netgear router to see if it makes any difference.
N/A

Games disconnect adsl?

I have a voyager 105. Im not maxed yet but have never had any game drop me out. I play RVS, BF2, FEAR, HL2, Ghost Recon....you name it!

So I'd suggest looking into software settings, whether they be modem or windows.
N/A

Result....not

Oops spoke to soon. I tried another modem a Thomson 330 speedtouch It worked for a while i.e didn't disconnect immediately. After about two mins I get the netpacket send error which Is the error message with the previous modem in halflife?

I've got to the end of the fault reporing form to be informed that there is a fault in the plusnet system please try again later. Great ISP huh :roll: Sorry reading this forum fills me with despair, what have I done Wink