Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future traffic management

JJ
Grafter

In another thread today Ben said:-

"....we are working on an entirely new method of managing traffic...... we are hoping to be able to provide our customers with a certain amount of full speed access for all applications per month, then it would slow down, slowing more as the usage increases.

This is a massive project however and will take time to complete and a lot of effort from our network guys. It's also very complex and hasn't been done by anyone else before so it is a really, really steep learning curve."

Now this I like the sounds of.

Provided it is simple, none of this different rates for different traffic. The slow down once you have passed your quota is in two or three steps not a sudden drop to dial up speeds, the monthly limit is reasonable, and it is tried out for a few months with a thousand or so of us first.

Then this could be a very sensible way to manage a shared resource.

Comments anyone ?

John H
9 REPLIES
N/A

I really like the sound of that... I'd like to be able to download 10-15 tracks per month on p2p, for example, but not much more than that.

However, it'd be nice for those tunes to download at full speed rather the slow speeds that we have now.

It seems the obvious solution, and it's been suggested by many people, but I can appreciate the technical requirements for it will be tricky.
N/A

there going to have to be very careful here.

If they start limiting the current gold traffice after say 20gig or whateva then there will really be some crying around here :/
N/A

Hi,

I have added this to my list of questions to take with us to the Plusnet Customer Forum.

I have also decided upon some further questions for this to find out to what level etc everything will be applied.

To add further questions you would like us to ask at the Customer Forum, please click on the link in my signature to take you to the relevant thread.

Regards,
JJ
Grafter

srae88,
Personally I would think anything along those lines would be met with a lot of derision even if 20Gig is a lot less than 98% of customers use. Such a low limit would play into the hands of PN’s competitors. However with a reasonable limit they could appeal to 99.8% of a potential customer base.

robstanton,
I agree and implementation could be a nightmare if not managed properly, particularly with the users.

John H
N/A

Rather than graded decreases, I'd prefer something like a exponential gradient as your usage goes up.

I DO hope this won't hit UL too much or I won't be able to share my mixes! Sad
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: Future traffic management

Provided it is simple, none of this different rates for different traffic. The slow down once you have passed your quota is in two or three steps not a sudden drop to dial up speeds, the monthly limit is reasonable

That's what we want it to be, above all simple. It will slow gradually, rather than you hit one level then it all slows down. Not too sure on what happens to uploads however I would guess that they wouldn't be affected too much as uploads are a lot lower than downloads.
retep
Grafter

Maybe this is fine but doesn't it run the risk of annoying a whole new bunch of customers?

Also if its truly 'leading edge' not been done before. I would just remind you thats not your main target market, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Reading that back its to strong, I wouldn''t wish to stifle new thinking but just make sure you don't spread yourself to thin developing 'the next big thing'
thehatman
Grafter

A good idea.

But when?

I think this may be sometihng that's just said to discourage people from leaving Plusnet and keep them hoping things will improve.
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

At the moment, we don't have a set time frame for this, as the project is still being worked on. However, this is something that we're working towards, as part of the managed broadband platform.