cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Further to my Last Post about "Support".....

N/A

I figured I'd do this as a new topic to make sure somebody from PN sees it asap.

Last night, coincidentally (??), after my post about (lack of) Support I received a response explaining how usage is broken down (why don't they do that when they tell you your allowance has gone up from 15Gb to 20Gb?). I also received an email telling me I'd exceeded my usage and would be subject to restrictions until next billing date, so this was my reply:

Well thanks a whole flaming bunch. Thanks to your lazy and lackadaisical approach to answering a simple blasted question I received this email before I received yours:

Your username: tansunlimited

Dear Mr Jeremy Peel Yates,

Your peak-time usage for this billing month just exceeded 13GB.

Light restrictions will now apply to your connection speeds until the end
of the current billing month.

Learn more about peak-time allowances -
http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

See a breakdown of your usage so far this month -
http://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php

Remember, we don't count any of your usage outside of peak hours, and the
restrictions on speed only ever apply within peak-time. You may be able to
increase your peak-time usage allowance by upgrading your account -
https://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html

Kind Regards,
PlusNet Customer Support

This email has been sent as it contains important information about your
service from PlusNet. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an
unmonitored address.

Reference E0190

So now I have to put up with restrictions because yet again Plusnet (actually I think that should probably be MinusNet) 1) Fail miserably to make the situation clear when trumpeting the increased allowance of 20Gb 2) Can't be bothered to get off their backsides when a customer who is trying to act responsibly within the allowances asks for clarification. Perhaps you did it deliberately to ensure restrictions would applied to my connection for a couple of days - nothing would surprise me with you lot. So how about, by way of an apology and an acknowledgement that my current situation is YOUR fault because had you replied in a reasonable length of time I would have managed things differently, lifting the "light restrictions" now applied to my line? Not that it really matters whether you do or don't because the billing period ends tomorrow at midnight (that's the 17th August - I mention it because doubtless you won't get round to reading this for another week) but such a gesture from you would go a long way under the circumstances.

Incidentally, it's an amazing co-incidence that you reply the day I post a complaint on the Forum isn't it? Well, actually, no it probably isn't really, is it?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Seems you did not read the small print details for the account you signed upto. Sad

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
JonathanW
Grafter

The previous response to your question was made by one of the staff who is not usually customer facing, as due to the large backlogs of support requests they have been helping out with some of the less technically demanding customer questions.

It is unfortuantely not possible to change the traffic management that is in place on your account, though as you say yourself it'll be reset tomorrow anyway due to your account being billed. It is just light management, and unless you're planning on doing lots of p2p/usenet downloads during the peak period you're not really going to notice it.

My apologies for the delay in answering your issues previously, but rather than being 'lazy and lackadaisical', the support centre is experiencing a higher than usual demand for support, which is leading to delays in responding to questions. This isn't something that we're happy with and we're putting in a massive effort to get this back under control as well as putting in place some longer term solutions.
N/A

No it's not that......they keep moving the goalposts and not giving you the detail behind the headline.
N/A

It is unfortuantely not possible to change the traffic management that is in place on your account, though as you say yourself it'll be reset tomorrow anyway due to your account being billed. It is just light management, and unless you're planning on doing lots of p2p/usenet downloads during the peak period you're not really going to notice it.

My apologies for the delay in answering your issues previously, but rather than being 'lazy and lackadaisical', the support centre is experiencing a higher than usual demand for support, which is leading to delays in responding to questions. This isn't something that we're happy with and we're putting in a massive effort to get this back under control as well as putting in place some longer term solutions.

Surely if you can put traffic management on you can take it off again - seems to me if you can't do something that simple we should all be worried about our connections and your technical management of them. And yes, I agree I'm not going to notice the restrictions but that isn't the point, it's the principle of the thing. For you to have acknowledged that the situation was your fault by lifting those restrictions would have made all the difference. As far as your "massive effort" is concerned, I seem to remember PN bragging that the last "massive effort" with Support and other staff working overtime and round the clock had cured the Support problem, so I'm afraid I remain extremely sceptical about your claims for what PN may, or indeed may not, be doing to resolve these problems. Of course the reality is that, given you know how many customers you have, PN is constantly underestimating, or more likely skimping to save money being a publicly-quoted company, necessary staffing levels.
N/A

Just to prove a point here's an extract from an email received from Mr Wyse on the 24th July 2006:

The priority for our support team has been to clear the backlogs of outstanding questions, ensuring that we were making quality responses. At the same time we have been increasing the average skill levels of our support staff. It’s taken a huge effort from everyone, but we are pleased to report that at 9.00AM this morning there were just 79 Customer Support questions and 171 fault diagnosis
requests outstanding. This represents volumes of work close to business-as-usual levels. Clearing what was by far the largest backlog of customer service issues we have ever experienced has been entirely down to the mammoth efforts of our support staff, supported by our development and operational resources, which are made up of people who not only have a passion for the business, but also for
Broadband itself. Many of our staff gave their personal time in order to achieve this.