cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ftp Failing?

N/A

Ftp Failing?

Over the past couple of days my ftp access to me websites (on several different servers) has been up and down. Down all last night, working again this morning. I've tried to access with Dreamweaver, IE and DOS FTP client but it simply fails to connect to any ftp site. I've turned off firewalls etc and still can't get through so I'm assuming this is down to my plusnet connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can track down what the issue is as the tools I've been using just give really helpful messages like "connection failed"

thanks in advance.
42 REPLIES
N/A

Ftp Failing?

Just to add... for some reason I can access ftp.plus.net so I wonder whether there is some sort of firewalling of ftp outside of plus.net?... more confused now!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Ftp Failing?

traffic shaping Huh - have you been warned about going over the limit for P2P etc
LiamM
Grafter

Ftp Failing?

Just to add... for some reason I can access ftp.plus.net so I wonder whether there is some sort of firewalling of ftp outside of plus.net?... more confused now!

Have you reached 15Gb peak time usage on Premier? At this stage, external FTP is blocked.
N/A

Ftp Failing?

Just checked and I've used 0.65Gb this month and 20Mb on Ftp so I don't think that's the problem.... should I be raising a ticket?
N/A

Ftp Failing?

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. Since sometime last week, I get good ftp connection in the mornings and ftp is impossible after about 3pm. Waiting to hear what plusnet support have to say....
N/A

Ftp Failing?

Thanks for the reply... where are you based?
N/A

Ftp Failing?

I'm in derbyshire.
N/A

Ftp Failing?

and also I can ftp to plus net fine even when I can't ftp to my other site.
N/A

Ftp Failing?

Strange, I'm in Newcastle. Which package are you on (I'm on the £14.99 one).

I've had a reply to my ticket saying that there is no problem, but if it's a timing thing then I need them to check when it's actually down. They asked me to check ftp://mirror.ac.uk when I a having the problem... one for you too.
N/A

Ftp Failing?

hmmm - out of interest - who hosts the site you are having difficulty ftping to. I'm trying to hit a site hosted by 5quidhost
N/A

Ftp Failing?

I've got several (I've tried at least 10 and have the same problem on all) all hosted by different people, so it's nothing to do with the hosting.

Which package are you on?
N/A

Ftp Failing?

same one as you by the sounds of it - broadband plus , 14:99
N/A

Ftp Failing?

and also I can ftp to plus net fine even when I can't ftp to my other site.

This sounds very much like a problem with the traffic shaping being applied to your account. FTP to PlusNet's servers is not managed in the same way as FTP traffic to anywhere else.
N/A

Ftp Failing?

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure you are right, but I guess we have to prove it!... My one hope is that the problems PN have been having with usage stats is responsible and when this is fixed they will by stealth fix the ftp issue.