cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustration, is it me or the ISP?

N/A

My line was never quick, it used to run at around 900Kbs which was fine for me. Then all of a sudden it dropped to 128kbs... I raised a ticked and eventually BT turned up, they confirmed that my line was in sync at aroun 1.1Mbs and I should be looking at 800kbs+, they expected maxdsl to sort this within a few days. Well it didn't!... my line appears to have settled at about 450kbs (which is acceptible to be honest)... I was putting stats on the ticket and plusnet reopened the call with BT... a few days later they close the call with a "not much we can do, shrug" message. I was fuming... my router still shows in sync at around 900kbs. I opened another call and was told that my PAYG package means I am only entitled to 500kbs, which is not what it says on the package details page. I've asked for explanations but it's all gone silent. Can someone confirm to me a) that if my netgear shows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 968 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 16.4 db 17.0 db

I should expect more than 450kbs?.

Also can anyone explain why upload 10k webfiles by ftp should take forever... is there some strange traffic shaping going on ?
27 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

I'd be inclined to query why your connection is synching at less than 1 Mbps when it ought to be able to synch at about 3 Mbps unless your line quality is very variable-- a SNR of 16.4 dB is very high for MaxDSL, it should be targetting 6 dB
N/A

I'm a long way away from the exchange 4-5km so the line quality is not expected to get much more than 1km (so I'm told).

How do I affect the SNR?
N/A

Hi these are my stats so i think you should see more speed
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:02:52

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2.560

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,5 / 16,5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 62,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,0 / 6,5
shellsong
Grafter

You don't affect the SNR, it should drop by about 6 dB for a doubling of the synch rate and MaxDSL should be changing the synch rate to approach a default target margin of 6 dB and if it isn't you need to ask why-- that's why I say you ought to be looking at a possible stable synch rate of about 3 Mbps!

The downstream attenuation or the line length can only give a (sometimes very!) crude estimate of your optimum synch rate
N/A

So is there anything I can do or is it something Plusnet or BT should be handling
shellsong
Grafter

It's something you need to ticket PlusNet about and they might have to give BTw a prod or three!
N/A

OK thanks... although I have posted about 5 lots of stats from my router on the original call and they just closed it eventually so not really being proactive!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As a user who also struggled with synch speeds I can sympathise.
The problem was almost certainly caused by the snr dropping badly after dark.
There are a number of things you should try first of which is to plug the router into the master socket behind the lower faceplate.
If this shows an improvement then there are a number of steps you can take. The easiest, assuming you can connect you router to the master socket is to change to a DSLNation filtered faceplate. If you can't do that you could look at disconnecting the ring wire from the other extensions as this can create problems due to AM radio interference.
Basically to get a BRAS speed of 1000kbps you need a synch rate of 1152kbps or better. With your present synch rate you will be limited to a stable rate of 500 kbps
The other possibility is that your line has been so bad that the system has automatically enabled interleaving and increased the default snr to 15db which means that you will struggle to get a better synch rate with your present router.
I changed to a Speetouch router where there are tools available to modify the default snr (maximum reduction is 5db but that will easily solve your problem).
With regard to ftp downloads I don't see any significant restrictions.
N/A

As I say I have BT out and they tested it all out from the master socket and everywhere else and gave it a clean bill of health... not sure what more I can do.

Ftp is chronically slow though... 1 minute to upload a 10k file!
N/A

FTP is really slow for me today too.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I cannot seem to ftp to my PN website today.

Edit - I can sometimes get connected but it is un-usably slow if it works at all.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have raised a ticket regarding FTP access to PN webspace.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As I say I have BT out and they tested it all out from the master socket and everywhere else and gave it a clean bill of health... not sure what more I can do.

Ftp is chronically slow though... 1 minute to upload a 10k file!

I know you said that but you also said that they achieved a synch of about 1100kbps from the master socket which is less than you are getting.
The point is that BT won't find anything wrong if they can synch OK but if it is at a very high snr it will be too low a speed.
If you want to improve the situation you are going to have to achieve a higher synch rate consistently otherwise you won't get anywhere.
Note the comment about 800kbps - with the automatic system which is used by MaxDSL you will never get higher than 500 kbps unless you can get the synch rate consistently above 1152 kbps and if the BT man said otherwise he is talking rubbish.
With respect to ftp speeds I don't have any problems. Have you tried another ftp site to see it that is any better
carrot63
Grafter

The slow FTP seems to be just one more thing thats going wrong intermittently these days.

I have almost identical line stats to you, Eglons, and before I was LLU'd I was getting a sync of 3700-4200 on Max, with an actual download speed of 2800-3000. Unfortunately BT have set the bar for 'acceptable' so low for Max that there doesnt seem to be much way to pressure them to fix what is evidently a problem.