cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frontpage platform - what a [cesnored]

N/A

My site has now been down all day long. I have a fairly old backup but am still unable to get my site back in action as all my domain points to the frontpage server.

I can't believe Plusnet didn't have a backup or contingency server they could swap over to. To think they have temporarily lost the whole customer sites is just a nightmare.

Communications from Plusnet has been pathetic and the status is amber - why not red? where are the comms team?? - Any more news on this Huh

[Moderators note by csogilvie: Changed filtered word in title to manual censored due to it doing weird things with the topic title]
17 REPLIES
clatz
Grafter

I agree. You would expect a hot backup for something like this.

Evil
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Hi there,

You should have an up to date local copy if you are using Frontpage, no??
We are working to provide a platform that will allow you to restore any backups. I will be putting out an announcement then.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Ironically the maintainance work was to improve resilience and redundancy across the platform. Issues arose with the disks as we were backing up the data.

The status is amber because it affects CGI and there is a functional CGI platform in place at the moment.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Is it not possible to restore the partial backup to the (I hope temporary) platform to at least keep some of the customers happyHuh
N/A

I dont believe it either!! All my site has gone too.. I have no backup as my harddrive died, so I guess I will have to spend hours re-writing it... well done plusnet!

Apart from this, I have no complaints about plusnets service.

Danny

www.TheOperaGhost.co.uk
N/A

Thanks for the update. My site is a mixture of frontpage and the cgi server but the main site and where my domain points to is frontpage with my photo album and guestbook on cgi.

How likely are we to get our sites restored, any ideas of timescales
?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Hi there,

I would like to be specific with regards to timescales/ possibility of full resolution etc. but to be brutally honest I can't be. Any assumptions I make would be unfounded.

We should have the interim platform up and running for Frontpage soon and I'll be posting a service status announcement when we do.

Sorry for the hassle this is causing some of you guys, we're doing all we can.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Temporary cgi platform.

Is the temporary cgi platform in place at the moment?
I have tried to upload my backup but the transfer keeps stopping half way through.
As my backup was made last week and therefore not fully up to date, and I eventually manage to get my backup on to the temporary server, what happens when (hopefully) the system is restored?
Will I have two copies of my files?

I am a little surprised that Plusnet can't afford us the common courtesy of an email to inform us of problems with the cgi services. It's a little embarrassing when a customer tells you that your own site is down.
csogilvie
Grafter

The temporary CGI platform is in place, and has been for a few hours. Noone can say for certain what will happen if/when data can be restored ATM. What Bob Pullen said earlier was:

If you upload any backups to the platform in place now, our intention would be to ensure it remains intact in the event that any data is copied over. I cannot really provide any further details other than what has been announced via the service status postings at present so any assumptions I was to make about restoring data would be entirely unfounded.
N/A

Thanks,
This forum isn't hosted on the Plusnet cgi server then? :mrgreen:
N/A

nope

one of these (could a mod resize for me plz?)

http://www.zx-spectrum.net/museum/zx80.jpg

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Turned image into a link as it was stretching the page width.]

edit: thx liam - wasnt sure how to post it thats why iasked above :-)
N/A

It amazes me that people do not have proper backups of thier sites.

You should always expect the crud to hit the fan & it to be lost, so a backup should always be kept & renewed often.

I'm sure that somewhere there is a "it is your responsibility to maintain a backup" clause.
tssk
Grafter

I've just come in tonight, I''m having to upload my site again, thought they were supposed to have backed it up?

Not on my bl**dy site they didn't!

I am so glad I keep continual bcks - shame on you Plusnet!
qorn
Grafter

Plusnet have setup a temp server for the CGI platform - OK

Users can upload a backup copy of there site (Which is never / allmost impossiable to keep upto date) - OK, will have to do

If the origional data is recovered, plusnet will only copy the origional data accross to the new server if you havent allready uploaded a backup.

WHY CANT I HAVE THE OPTION TO KEEP THE UPTO DATE DATA THAT PLUSNET LOST / MAY RECOVER TO REPLACE THE OUT OF DATE BACKUP THAT EVERYONE IS UPLOADING TO KEEP THERE SITES ACTIVEHuh

WHY DOESNT PLUSNET HAVE FAULT TOLLERANCE ON THERE DATA ARRAYSHuh

HARD DRIVES ARE VERY CHEAP ATM, 120Gb ONLY £30 !!!
Just think how many users sites could be backed up with only £30!

HOW ABOUT INVESTING SOME OF MY SUBSCRIPTION INTO BUYING A COUPLE OF THESE COST EFFECTICTIVE DRIVES
OR...
MAYBY YOU COULD HAVE A COLLECTION PASSED ABOUT THE PLUSNET OFFICES

Dave
N/A

for people not reading the announcment correctly this was a un forseen error, deal with it, after all these are your sites maintained by you, where are your backups!!!

if you were driving down the road and your exhaust fell off who would you blame, teh guys who repalced your tyres? no i dont think so,

some things cannot be factord for, even if they were to go out and buy osme of these £30 HD's whats not to say that these are faulty as well or go down during the copying process theres nothing to say thee things will never happen

the more hassle you give these guys the longer its gonna take to get rectified