cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From a steady Constant Speed to a Very shaky speed......why?

N/A

I went to MAXADSL in end of December 2006, and then my speed used to be 250KBs download speed. Now, since the upgrade it has gone worse, and im very lucky to even get that!

Most days it stays between 35KB to 50KBs....

There was once one day where i think something somewhere MUST have gone wrong coz i was actually getting 600KBs, yes thats right.....600KBs speeds, something that i was told i should be getting. But then that must have been a dream coz the following day it all went away back to reality, crap speeds!

I raised an issue with plusnet, but they seem to point the finger at BT, but BT say its not an issue. My friend is on Plus Net who lives a mile away from me and he is getting good speed.

I have changed my hardware, just in case it may be that, but still the same.

Im paying 21.99 for a speed that i could be getting for pennys.....

Can anybody please clear this for me and advise what i can doHuh?

Thanks (a very disgrunteld customer!)
3 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

I've got a similar story, although I've been on Max DSL for some time. Something seems to have happened over the last two months or so, I was getting about 1300kbps last year, now getting and average of 500kbps with a very wide spread between 92kbps and 1300kbps (once it did go mad and went to an unseen 2400kbps). My max stable rate is 3000kbps. Gone from a relatively consistent line to a scatter graph, the problem is most people want consistency and reliability, when my speed goes down to the bottom end it becomes unusable.

I'm awaiting my second BT visit, and am currently testing with a borrowed ADSL2 router connected with an Ethernet cable, in order to rule out the last remaining possible issue at "my end".

Does anyone know what changes have been implemented that could be a possible route cause for these issues considering the timescales?

Cheers.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: From a steady Constant Speed to a Very shaky speed......

I went to MAXADSL in end of December 2006, and then my speed used to be 250KBs download speed. Now, since the upgrade it has gone worse, and im very lucky to even get that!

Most days it stays between 35KB to 50KBs....

Hi,

What are you using to measure the speed? Is that for example a P2P download or HTTP download or the result of a speed test and at what time of day?

I'd suggest to run the following speedtests and see what the reults give:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Does anyone know what changes have been implemented that could be a possible route cause for these issues considering the timescales?

It's difficult to say, with you trying the different hardware it really leaves about three places that could cause the problem, your phone line, the BT exchange and network and our side.

From the ticket the faults guys and BT believe that it's one of the first two which can then give you one of several actual causes from something causing interference on the line to damaged copper to contention at the exchange or a misconfiguration at the exchange or water logged cabling or crossed wire or loop on the line or one of a number of other causes.

Given that it's been two months and was OK before I'd be thinking damaged or flooded cabling would be the favourite. Do you also notice if the connection drops a lot? Your speed history shows nearly a dozen changes in speed in the past month or so mainly switching between 3 and 4Mbps but that may just mean the line is a little borderline than a problem.