cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent losses of synch

m_g_davies

Frequent losses of synch

For the last 3 or so weeks, anyway since my line upgrade to 1 MB, I have been noticing frequent losses of synch on my line. The ADSL light on the router flashes repeatedly (sometimes for up to half an hour) and I get messages such as (name) could not be found ... or the connection was refused.... During these periods I can sometimes connect intermittently but usually not.

Then everything seems to correct itself and there may no problems for an hour or three then the problems start again.

From reading the tutorial I guess this is a fault probably at the exchange (Staines in this case). Is there anything i can do and is anyone else reporting similar problems at this or other exchanges? Is it down to weight of traffic?

I don't want to have to get BT to investigate and then charge me £50 because they can't find anything wrong.

MIke D
6 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Frequent losses of synch

Hi there,

Have you raised a fault ticket to us? It does sound as if we'll need to take a bit more of a look at this.

As long as you answer all the questions we ask and those that BT ask then you won't get charged for any call outs etc.
m_g_davies

Frequent losses of synch

I looked at some of the other posts relating similar problems. I don't think I have time to do all the research which the questions require (such as plugging my router into the master socket - which would take me best part of a day and a lot of effort by the time I've moved and reconnected hubs, pcs etc and then moved them back again).

In any case the problem is intermittent as I said. For instance, this morning it took about 65 minutes (from about 9.30 to 10.35) just to connect long enough to login to the forum again. Since then though the connection has been fine. So I don't think the problem is at my end. Anyway nothing in my config has changed for months.

I am rather unhappy about this because there is no way I plan to raise a ticket with the threat of a £50-odd quid 'fine' hanging over my head if I can't answer some of the questions. At the same time others seem to have had similar problems but I can't see any resolution posted to any of them. However you look at it my level of service is not what it was.

I do want to try and work to resolve this but I'm not sure what to do next.
Frogger
Grafter

Frequent losses of synch

am rather unhappy about this because there is no way I plan to raise a ticket with the threat of a £50-odd quid 'fine' hanging over my head if I can't answer some of the questions.

Speaking as a user who has a significant exchange located fault and many BT visits, and chats with many engineers. I think it is not un reasonable for BT (or F9) to expect you to prove that it is not a fault on your wiring or equipment. The most effective way to be sure is to try at BT's master socket. If however you are 100% sure your equipment is not faulty then go ahead with a fault report. BT will only charge a fee if the fault is actually proven by them to be on your equipment, and this seems not unreasonable to cover their time. By the engineer having clear anwswers to the carefully selected questions (which are laid down by BT not F9) they have a good starting point to resolve your issues, and do not need spend time checking your equipment. The outcome of my fault report was positive with a fix effective giving me a very stable connection. Please note I am not affiliated with BT or F9.
m_g_davies

Frequent losses of synch

Can I ask if you had a similar fault to the one I have, and if so what was the fix?
Frogger
Grafter

Frequent losses of synch

A long and complicated story... may be similar in some areas.

In May I applied for a upgrade from 500K to 1M. The day it was performed by BT, I lost sync completely and could not recover at all.

I reported to F9 and answered the list of questions. BT arrived, confirmed no sync on their PC & modem at the master. Phew ! not my problem or fee. They said it was a local loop cable problem and would swap out my line. BUT no spares available... so it was escalated to problem resolution. A few weeks later, another appointment was made and BT said they had fixed it, when they re-tested, it didn't work so they told me to arrange speed downgrade to restore. This was done, but from then on at 500K, it occassionally dropped sync. At that point I noted router uplink speed was 64K. Because I was glad to get any service back I left it. I went away on holiday for 2 weeks came back to find completely no sync. Reported... BT came out and replaced a whole section of cable in my street. No better !!!. Special investigation in BT produced another engineer who did extensive tests and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my line. They then checked at the exchange to find that the port I was using on the DSLAM was faulty, this was swapped out and I now have good 576K downlink and 288K up link, and stable !!

This was a very exceptional problem.. and a major mis-diagnosis by BT at the start.

I would satisfy yourself that your gear is OK, then report it to F9 who will do a whoosh test, and hand to BT. Hopefully you have a straight forward line fault which can be fixed easily. Failing that if your line is just out of limits when tested you may need to lower the speed back.

Just a thought: Have you any older style cordless phones (PRE- DECT ) they transmit on frequencies that can cause problems with ADSL. I am also assuming you have good quality microfilters at all used phone points.

Hope it goes well.
m_g_davies

Frequent losses of synch

Thanks very much for your detailed response - an interesting tale! It seems that you had a more drastic failure than I am experiencing, as my connection tends only to fail at intervals and is otherwise fine (and very quick). I will think on what you have said and then see if I can do some research at his end before I expose myself to the tender mercies of BT! Also I am not keen on the idea of giving up the extra speed I have gained, but if the situation gets worse then of course I may have to.