cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnections since speed upgrade

N/A

Since the speed upgrade, I've been experiencing infuriatingly frequent disconnections. I'm still within my 10 days of upgrade (PAYG 2GB product), and I really don't mind the variable speeds I'm experiencing. It's just the constant disconnections that are getting me down.

Is this likely to resolve at the end of the 10 daysHuh

Yesterday, I had 10+ disconnections in the space of 20 minutes, and it takes a minute or so to reconnect each time, so is very irritating. (I'm so fed up already, I'm beginning to think of finding another ISP!)

I tried to do the online fault checker, but got disconnected frequently throughout, and then couldn't send my results at the end. My 'ticket' says to phone the helpdesk, which I did, but I'm not prepared to wait on the phone for 40 mins (which is what the stated wait time was).

I've done the fault checker etc on my modem, and that's working fine. The problem has only started since the speed upgrade, which is annoying as I had a great and reliable connection prior to that!

So, any advice for a non-techy person such as myself on how to resolve this? Or some reassurance that this is only temporary, and will totally sort itself out at the end of the 10 days?

I've been disconnected twice whilst typing this post, btw. Aaargh!

Thanks for any and all input.
24 REPLIES
N/A

It should get steady as the 10 days start coming nearer to a close. Then it shouldnt happen at all once Plusnet update your ticket saying everything is complete Smiley
N/A

I've had an email saying this:

"PlusNet are pleased to confirm that your broadband regrade to BT IPStream Max is now complete.

Please note: You may need to reboot your modem or router before you can experience your new speed."

Does that mean I shouldn't be having an problems now?
Community Veteran

No that means you've started the 10day period where the system works out your best speed
N/A

Hmm,

As I understood it this was a national thing lol. I was on ADSLGuide just yesterday looking at the forums for other providers all filled with the same problem. Constant disconnects etc etc since going onto MAX.

This issue appears to be a BT issue ( one I dont think they are in a hurry to fix either if it is to last outside the initial 10 days ) and so a change of provider will have about as much effect on the situation as would a choclate fireguard help keep a toddler safe from the fire.

Heres me hoping BT get their act together ( theres me hoping for a miracle lol ).

Regards,
N/A

Thanks for the replies! I'm now on day 7, and am still getting disconnects on average between every 10 seconds and 10 minutes (with very occasional longer periods of connectivity). So infuriating... Evil

When it drops, my modem's light flashes and my desktop icon says 'training'. I then have to wait a minute before I can try to reconnect. Last night, it told me that there was no signal at all and I couldn't reconnect until I'd restarted/rebooted everything. I'm seeming to spend as much time trying to connect to the internet as I am actually connected!

Considering that I've had no problems at all with my connection prior to this upgrade, and at one stage my line speed was 1.2 yesterday , I don't exactly feel 'upgraded'! . :roll:

3 line drops whilst trying to post this message... Evil

Roll on day 10, is all I can say! :?
N/A

Yeah, I think alot of people are getting similar issues.

I am 4-5 days inside the 10 day period for mxdsl, I get disconnected maybe once or twice an hour currently. Never had a line drop at all before maxdsl. I'll give it another week or so before I kick off with everyone else :-)
N/A

surely the whole point of the disconnects is that it is naturally finding the most stable speed and is gradually lowering the connection rate?

What are your sync rates looking like? Have they been gradually decreasing or are they forever training at the same rate?
N/A

Erm, if you could tell me what to look for, I could tell you the answer.

If you mean what I call 'connection speed', then no, they're not gradually lowering. I can be connected at 8.1mb, disconnected then reconnect at 3.6, then disconnected to reconnect at 4.4, then 6.1, then 1.6, then 7.2... and so on.

No pattern at all to either the speed or the length of time I can stay connected.

And when my modem says 'training', there's no upload or download speed listed at all.

If that's not what you meant - can you ask me in 'broadband for dummies' kind of language, please. :lol:
N/A

I have been synching and dropping at all speeds from 2.6 to 3.2 - it isn't gently dropping down .1 each time, it just seems to randomly synch at 2.6-3.2.....

...then it will drop synch at some point in the next hour or so. I guess not much can be done until the 10 day period passes
N/A

Will they disconnect you while your router is active?

For 2 days a week I need to stream audio from my PC to a server, which requires a constant connectinon. I wouldnt want it to disconnect half way through this.

David
Gryzor
Grafter

My disconnects have gone from once every 4 hours to line down altogether (now on day 5). According to PlusNet my line finished its checks on day 3!
N/A

*Warning....long post ahead, sorry*

Hi!

I too was having terible connection problems after I got DSLMax. Before that my Belkin FD7630 had never dropped a connection on a 2MB line (about 1.8km from the exchange).

I got the upgrade on the 10th April and connected in the morning to find a sync speed of about 6000. during the day this dropped on every disconnection to around 4700. Then we had the strange F9/PN problems that night when hardly anything worked which didn't help!

Next day same again, constant disconnections and modem reboots. Sync at around 4500. Lots of errors on the line too. So I decided to plug the router into the BT master socket. Immediately my sync went up to about 7600 and no disconnections for an hour! The problem is there is no power supply there so i was running a power extension lead which was not convenient!

Day three and I decided to have a browse (in between disconnections) and came across some posts and some web pages about phone extension leads and the dreaded bell wire!

To give you an idea, I have one phone extension kit plugged from the master socket straight up into one bedroom. Then from that extension I have another plugged in which goes up into the loft, across the inside of the "A" roof, along and then down into my room. Now this has given absolutely no problems with the old 2MB connection. But after reading about how the extension works and only 2 wires are needed for modern phones and ADSL I thought i'd give the following a try. The middle 2 wires on the extension (green and blue) were not actually needed. Green (or connection 3) was the "Ring" or "Bell" wire. Blue (or connection 4) is not even used! As the blue connector in my room had broken anyway i decided to cut the Green and Blue totally to leave the outermost wires (2 - Yellow, 5-Red). I tried the connection....sync up to low 6000! So then i went to the other end of the extension in the master phone socket and also cut the same wires. Sync......7800! And to this day not ONE dropped connection!

Since then my sync varies from between 7400-8000, it was 4500. I still get some errors on the line, but these are far and few and cause no problems with the connection. Again not one dropped connection at all. It seems as reliable now as when I had 2MB. And sometimes the SNMargin has dropped during the day to 3dB yet it still refuses to drop the connection and browsing the web is just great still. Oh, and I plugged my BT Relate 3000 phone into the extension upstairs (in the splitter) and it rings quite happily.

I know this may not work for everyone, and I accept no responsibiliy if it doesn't work. But I took the chance, and it has paid off enormously! Below I have put the link to a page which explains about the BT phone socket and various extension cable wiring conventions. This is what I used to know what cables to cut / remove. It is very helpful and straightforward.

Link To Wiring Diagrams

All I can do is share what happened to me and how it seems to be solved. Again I can not guarantee it will work for everyone but in my instance I have gone from a sync of about 4500 and constant disconnections to a sync of 7500+ and a rock solid connection.

If anyone does try it and it does work, it would be worth posting here so I know it was not just luck! I'm sure it wasn't as I tested the connection a couple of times with and without the wires and there was a big difference in sync speed.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps at least a few people out there!

Cheers,

Lee

PS. Currently synched at 7904 down, 448 up. Noise margin down 7dB, up 23dB. Line Attenuation down 36 dB, up 22 dB. No Interleaving!
Gryzor
Grafter

Funny you should mention this as last night I got stuck into my master socket with my screwdriver and disconnected 3 and 4 connections. This morning signal to noise at 3db and attenuation at 43 according to my router but I am synced and I am connected and able to browse.

I am at day 6 of my upgrade (although PN say my line speed testing has been completed).

We shall see what happens.
N/A

That's interesting, but surely you shouldn't have to go cutting wires for maxdsl to work properly? Why would it synch fine before maxdsl if wires needed to be cut?