cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free upgrade from 2mb Premier to 8mb Premier

N/A

From looking at the titles on the first page of this forum, i couldn't see any threads relating to this, so i thought i'd make one...

I think it'd be a fair deal to us plusnetters on the 2mb Plus or Premier packages to be upgraded free of charge to 8mb broadband. This is going to be the main deal for plusnet in a few weeks/months, with the 'up to 2mb' products changing to 'up to 8mb' on the front page for only £21.99 a month.

As it'll be the default package for new customers, i think current customers (to be reasonable, users who have been subscribed for more than 6 months perhaps) should be entitled to a free upgrade to get this 8mb broadband.

Any feedback and reasoning from either staff or users would be greatly appreciated regarding this subject...
13 REPLIES
N/A

great. faster speeds to use your download limit more quickly,

how many people will be on grade 4 by the first week of the month
N/A

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/product_improvements_apr2006.shtml

I found that link after posting this thread.. I believe we're all going to get 8meg anyway arent we? and it's almost certain that with these new products that usage allowances will be changed.. it's only logical.

correct me if i'm wrong Wink
N/A

All usage allowances and network management policies will remain the same. We'll be able to improve this in future when our wholesale capacity costs reduce.
N/A

at least that can be used as a promise when (not if) they further reduce service
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

As far as the trial is concerned if your exchange is on the list of exchanges that have been upgraded is added then if you currently have an up to 4 or 8Mbps or PAYG account then you will be automatically upgraded to DSL Max. The regrades for the customers on the second batch of exchanges are completing this week.

Any customer on an up to 2Mbps account on a trial exchange can upgrade to up to 4 or 8Mbps account and be regraded for a one off fee of £14.99.

A bit early to say exactly what's going to happen post trial, but I will ask the questions and post back when I know more.
N/A

Not sure if the following questions have already been asked/answered or indeed whether they can be at this time but can someone give me any information regarding the following:

1. I understand this is a trial at the moment, is there a provisional date or timeframe for activation for all users?

2. Will this only happen on LLU exchanges?

3. Would existing users have the option to "jump the queue" as we did when the 2 meg upgrades were first announced?

4. Will I need to upgrade my router should it become available (Netgear 834G) ?

I'm only concerned because my area is never likely to be high on any list for upgrade, you can't any of the current LLU providers etc and so I'm wondering if I'm going to be stuck at my current speed.

Apologies if these questions have already been asked: perhaps someone could kindly provide a link to where I can find more info.

Cheers
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

As far as the trial is concerned if your exchange is on the list of exchanges that have been upgraded

How do we check to see if our exchange has been upgraded? The list on your webite has not been updated since June 21st 2005!!!

Dave
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

1. I understand this is a trial at the moment, is there a provisional date or timeframe for activation for all users?

We've got 54 exchanges activated so far, we expect some more to added over the next 2 months or so and a national rollout at the beginning of April so long as the trial is a success.

2. Will this only happen on LLU exchanges?

No, DSL Max will be available at all ADSL enabled exchanges (except those activated via the Exchange Active scheme). What speed you'd be able to get will be determined by your line characteristics.

3. Would existing users have the option to "jump the queue" as we did when the 2 meg upgrades were first announced?

If your exchange is enabled as part of the trial then yes you can "jump the queue" by upgrading to an up 4 or 8Mbps or PAYG account. Post trial how it'll work I'm going to find out and will get back to you.

4. Will I need to upgrade my router should it become available (Netgear 834G) ?

No, the Netgear DG834G (I have one of those too) should work fine with DSL Max, and should also work fine with ADSL2+ if/when that becomes available in your area (it may require a firmware upgrade which you can download from Netgear for ADSL2+).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Hi,

As far as the trial is concerned if your exchange is on the list of exchanges that have been upgraded is added then if you currently have an up to 4 or 8Mbps or PAYG account then you will be automatically upgraded to DSL Max. The regrades for the customers on the second batch of exchanges are completing this week.

Any customer on an up to 2Mbps account on a trial exchange can upgrade to up to 4 or 8Mbps account and be regraded for a one off fee of £14.99.

A bit early to say exactly what's going to happen post trial, but I will ask the questions and post back when I know more.

To save you doing any work Dave. This is from the latest newsletter.
High-speed broadband update

Broadband at up to 8Mb will be sweeping the nation this year and we’ll be giving you access to these higher speeds as soon as they become available to you. That means you’ll get free upgrades to faster speeds, providing your telephone line can support them. We’re also making some exciting changes to our products and pricing based on the arrival of faster speeds, including Broadband Plus up to 8Mb for £14.99 and Broadband Premier up to 8Mb for just £21.99
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

How do we check to see if our exchange has been upgraded? The list on your webite has not been updated since June 21st 2005!!!

Is that the one on the Usertools site? If so that was just for the 2Mbps bulk regrade.

If you check your number on the 8Mbps checker

http://www.plus.net/8mb/8mb_content.shtml

it should tell you if your exchange has been upgraded or not.
N/A

Thanks very much for the information Dave. I have no doubts my exchange will be one of the last but it's something to look forward to.

I'll be checking my firmware and updating ready Cheesy

Could you possibly tell me what firmware you're currently using (and is it stable?)
N/A

If PlusNet upgrade all current 2Mbps Premier users to "Up to 8Mbps" DSL Max, for the same monthly price of £21.99, I will be an extremely happy customer. Smiley

My exchange is currently enabled, so come April, or whenever the rollout begins, will I be one of the first to be upgraded for free?
N/A

Actually,

Unless any of us are on a major exchange we shouldnt be jumping up and down just yet.

I have noted this from daves response

We've got 54 exchanges activated so far, we expect some more to added over the next 2 months or so and a national rollout at the beginning of April so long as the trial is a success.

So Providing the trials are a success BT will start a national rollout in april. If this is at the same speed and pace of the trials or even BB rollout ( when BB first ever was introduced ) I can see many of us having a good long wait ahead of us.

I dont say this in knowledge, but with past experiences with BT, who in my opinion have never really been known to work but rather more casually stroll along no matter what it is they are doing.

Regards,