cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free dialup with ADSL?

N/A

Free dialup with ADSL?

May be a silly question, but I can't find the answer to it!

Currently a Connect Lite customer considering upgrading to ADSL Home Surf. Only the main PC would be connected via ADSL, but we also have a 2nd PC that will need to stay as normal dialup access due to it not being possible to physically connect via any other means.

The question is, as an ADSL Home Surf customer, do you also have access to a free (080Cool dialup number that can be used by non ADSL connected PCs logging into the same account without having to still pay a Connect Lite subscription too?

Thanks,

Richard.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Free dialup with ADSL?

Basically, no. You can get a free 0845 dialup account (no subscription charges, just the cost of the phone call), but none that are free completely.

May I ask why the 2nd PC physically can't connect any other way? You may be better off hooking that up to the ADSL line (as that is one of the advantages; allowing multiple people to be connected at the same time).
Community Veteran

Free dialup with ADSL?

If the 2nd PC is physically located in the same building then a wireless network may be possible to link them. Maybe cost is the main issue here?
N/A

Free dialup with ADSL?

The 2nd 'PC' is actually a Netgem IPlayer Freeview box i.e. it also has a built in 56K modem enabling web surfing on the TV and email access. Not as easy to use as a normal PC, but occasionally useful nonetheless. This is in the Living Room and the main PC is upstairs in a bedroom. What the IPlayer does also have however is a USB port (though not everything seems to be compatible with it). I could connect a Belkin USB-Ethernet adaptor (which is supported), but I'm not able to the run an Ethernet cable upstairs to an ADSL router. Wireless would be the only way, but it starts getting messy adding this as well, and the cost for only using the Netgem occasionally hardly makes it worth it if an (albeit) slower free dialup connection was available. I know of other owners who successfully connect it via ADSL and the appropriate adaptors, but don't know anyone who does it wirelessly, so no guarantee it would work wirelessly for me.

Richard.
Ianwild
Grafter

Free dialup with ADSL?

Hi Richard,

Your only other option here would be to signup for a second Unmetered account. A dial port costs us nearly £100 a month, so it isn't feasible to provide the additional capacity that would be required to offer this to our DSL customers as a free of charge service.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Free dialup with ADSL?

If you're running a real operating system like Linux, you could potentially run a null-modem cable from the Freeview box to the PC, using the PC as a gateway. That'd be really fiddly, though, and I doubt you'll find any Windows software to achieve this.
N/A

Free dialup with ADSL?

It isn't hard to find software for that.

Using a small RAS server on the computer, any standard proxy or ICS software (though not the windows built in one) should work.
N/A

Free dialup with ADSL?

Is Linux a REAL operating system?
N/A

Free dialup with ADSL?

By dictionary standards, yes. It performs disk and hardware I/O functions.

The same could be asked for windows and the same answer would (should) be returned.

Can I ask why you put the question like that?

What would you define as an OS.
Community Veteran

Free dialup with ADSL?

Is Linux a REAL operating system?

HeHe, I would also like to know your definition of a REAL OS as apposed to an err.. UNREAL one if such a thing exists. Smiley

I'm guessing you have not had any experience of Unix, it was around a long time before WIndows or DOS for that matter, and Linux has it's roots in the Unix camp being an alternative public domain version of it.

What do you think an OS actually does or consists of?

And to help you out if you get stuck, have a read of this.

And yes, Linux is a real OS, a lot more real than windows ever was but then I am biased being from the *nix world. Wink
N/A

Free dialup with ADSL?

Can I ask why you put the question like that?

I think he was joking. Well, I laughed anyway.