cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free USB Modem?

N/A

Free USB Modem?

I have just been phoned by a referal who is discusted that when he decided to go for the 'you stay we pay' option of free activation and a free modem he thought he would get a modem.

Well, NO! Plus.net have just informed him that he will not be getting the free USB modem and that he must use his wanadoo modem!

LOL

Rich

Moderators note by John (johnessex) All capitals title redued to lower case. Please don't shout on the forums.
18 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Free USB Modem?

Hi there,

Is your friend migrating to us? If this is the case, unfortunately they won't be able to take advantage of the "you stay we pay" scheme, as this is for new activations only.

We believe it's a safe assumption that if someone is migrating to us they will already have working hardware.
LiamM
Grafter

Free USB Modem?

Let me get this straight? He's selected to receive a modem, right? But Plusnet won't give him one?

How do they even know he has a modem from wanadoo anyway? If you select that you want the modem, Plusnet will supply one.

I don't think you should be so quick to start accusing here until you've heard the whole story.
LiamM
Grafter

Free USB Modem?

If it was a migration then he would need to take advantage of the Free Migration offer... not the "You Stay We Pay Offer", in which case you wont get a modem anyway, you won't be held to five years either.
N/A

Free USB Modem?

Let me get this straight? He's selected to receive a modem, right? But Plusnet won't give him one?

How do they even know he has a modem from wanadoo anyway? If you select that you want the modem, Plusnet will supply one.

I don't think you should be so quick to start accusing here until you've heard the whole story.

Thanks for your kind comments. Sorry I must have got it all wrong.

This is what I have been told:

1. He signed up on the plus.net site for BroadBand Plus
Up to 2mb £14.99
Anual Contract - Included Activation - £0.00
USB Modem - included - £0.00

2. Sadly he didn't know about the free migration and MAC KEY

3. He phoned at 3pm today to ask where his modem is as the line was showing as activated in his plus.net control panel.

4. The reply he got was that he will not be sent a modem as he can use his wanadoo modem. Because he was with wanadoo in the past, they will not send him a modem because he can use the 'FREE' wandoo one and can enter the username and password for plus.net.

I will ask him to phone plus.net direct and re-confirm this.

Rich
Community Veteran

Free USB Modem?

He must have had a MAC (migration authorisation code) otherwise he could not migrate from Wanadoo to PlusNet (or any other ISP for that matter).

The free modem is only available for new ADSL activations (as stated earlier) not migrations so there has clearly been a misunderstanding somewhere, either by the person concerned or how he described it to you.
N/A

Free USB Modem?

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply.

He signed up on the website and didn't even mention Wanadoo at any time to Plus.net?

Rich
Community Veteran

Free USB Modem?

If he had a MAC, he would not need to state where he currently was, the MAC code allows that info to be determined.

It is also BT Wholesale that does the migration (via BT) and not PlusNet.
N/A

Free USB Modem?

Thanks Peter,

I have spoken to him again.

He does not even know what a MAC code is and also is kicking himself after I informed him he should of used the FREE migration tool instead of the new account signup.

Aparently the plus.net member confirmed that not only would he 'not' be getting a modem but he will also be liable to pay back the activation fee.

I think we should draw a line under this until he has spoken to plus.net again. Then I will ask HIM to post on the forum if required as third hand information can be a dangerous thing!

One thing to add, he phoned yesterday and waited 16 minutes to get through and decided to hand up. Today he phone and was told that if he waited yesterday to get through he would of been able to cancel as the line was not activated until today.

At the end of the day, he is a new customer, with limited IT knowledge and is feeling really upset with the whole procedure. At the moment he is asking If I can come round and set up his current modem as he has no clue as to how to do it! and I'm not sure if he still has the software to run the thing.

Rich
N/A

Free USB Modem?

I'm not sure if he still has the software to run the thing

Drivers for most of the usb modems should be readily available on line.

Might be worth identifying it and downloading the current friver before you go round.
Community Veteran

Free USB Modem?

Hmm, something very strang going on here.

Are you sure he was on a wonadoo broadband connection? If so did he cancel with Wanadoo? If so then that is why he has to pay another activation fee (or defer it for 5 years) becaue he has gone through a new activations and if so, he is entiled to the free modem.

It is still not clear if a migration or new activation occured in this case?

As for the hardware, your post suggsts he has not been using the hardware recently which makes this whole situation even stranger. Has he been using his wanadoo broadband connection recently?.

Just post the hardware details (make/model/description) and I'm sure we can point you to the relevant drivers for it.
N/A

Free USB Modem?

Just a thought was Mackney's friend on dial-up or broadband before he signed up for BB+. It was not that clear in the original postings or did I miss it somewhere :?
N/A

Free USB Modem?

Hi, This post is about me, I am using my mates pc to send you this.

I signed up on the plus.net site for BroadBand Plus
Up to 2mb £14.99
Anual Contract - Included Activation - £0.00
USB Modem - included - £0.00

I didnt even know that I could have used the "free migration Mac key thing" as I didnt think it would apply if I moved house, which I have just done.

I knew it would take some time to Plus to check my new line etc, but I did wonder why I have not been sent the modem or anything.

I tried to phone on Monday 7pm to ask about this, but was kept waiting ith the message" 10 mins wait", then I hung up when it went to "20 mins wait" after I had already been waiting 16mins - NOT GOOD

I then phoned today about 3pm and can confirm that I have been told I will not recieve a modem and I am also liable for the activation charges if i leave
"just change my username and password on the wanadoo software" etc

I have no idea how Pus knew I had a wanadoo modem as I didnt tell them and this was on a line in my old house. I canceled wanadoo by phone before I moved house and before I joined Plus.net

If i am a new acount, do i get a modem and if so why has it not been sent yet, and am liable for activation charges if i leave.
N/A

Free USB Modem?

you won't be held to five years either.

Martinfamily .... see below!

If so then that is why he has to pay another activation fee (or defer it for 5 years)

OK, so it looks like he IS a new account and Wanadoo has nothing to do with it. He should be sent a modem ?

Rich
Community Veteran

Free USB Modem?

If you are in a new house that did not previously have broadband on it in your name then you are a new activation and entitled to the free modem if that is what you stated in the sign-up process.

I also don't know how PlusNet new you were on broadband with Wanadoo, in any case this is irrelevant as it applied to the old house and old number. You also can't migrate from one phone number/house to another.

Did you take your old number with you by any chance? if so, this may be where all the confusion has come from as you may still have a marker on the line stating you have ADSL from Wanadoo. How long was it since you cancelled your Wanadoo broadband account (I assume it was a botadband account and not dialup)

You need to explain all this to PlusNet support as it appears they are just as confused as we all are about what has happened here.