cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Speed Upgrade ?

N/A

Free Speed Upgrade ?

After waiting since April and then June I finally got upgraded on Friday as part of the free bulk upgrades. My router now connects at 1.1Mb (fastest my line can accept) and I spent quite a while on Friday downloading at 120K/s.

Logged on today and my download speeds have returned to 60k/s and the speed tests are showing 512Kb speeds also.

I have called customer services who supposedly removed the throttle on my account (Even though on Friday it wasn't slowing my downloads down) however even after several reboots there is no change to my dwonload speeds.

I am currently on the old F9 home install account could this be causing my speed problems and should I upgrade to the premier account?
6 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Free Speed Upgrade ?

Hi there,

I've checked your account and everything looks ok for the new speed. Can you try turning your equipment off completely for a couple of minutes and trying again.
N/A

Free Speed Upgrade ?

Thanks Ben,

I have just turned my router off for 30 mins but I am still only getting 480K/s on the force9 speed test.

More worryingly I've just followed the instructions and done a bt speedtest and that has come back with 479k/s. The router is still connecting at 1152 kbps and as I said on Friday when the upgrade went through I was downloading at 120k/s without any problems.

Do I need to raise a ticket with customer support or is there anything else I can try?

Many thanks Mitch.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Free Speed Upgrade ?

Hi,

If the BT speedtester is showing the same speed then the cause is going to within either the BT network or your own equipment.
If you try the BT speedtester at a few different times of the day it should help pinpoint the cause. Overnight and early morning are usually the quietest times, if you see normal speeds at these times then it's likely caused by contention at the BT exchange, the same kind of speed would likely indicate something else.
N/A

Free Speed Upgrade ?

Hi Dave,

I have tried the bt speed tester 3 times now at different times of the day and I have had results of 479, 480 & 481 kbps. I have just tried my friends router and his laptop plugged into my line and I'm still only getting 512k speeds.

Should I raise a ticket with customer services to get them to look into this problem?

Many thanks Mitch.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Free Speed Upgrade ?

Yep, if it's always showing 512 speeds then raise a ticket, answer all the questions and include your speed test results and the support team will investigate it for you.
N/A

Free Speed Upgrade ?

Thanks Dave,

I did raise a ticket with customer support but it appears to have been a total waste of time. The response I got was that the speeds did seem a little slow for a 1mb line but as they were above bt's acceptable limit of 400kbps there was nothing they could do.

I don't deem these speeds to be a little bit slow for a 1mb line they are a joke, They just happen to be exactly the same speed as I was getting on a 512kb connection. If the speed was changing depending on load at the exchange I could accept that but the speeds I'm receiving are between 479kbps and 482kbps at all times of the day. I suppose it must just be a coincidence that they happen to be bang on for 512kb speeds.

I accept that it isn't force9 fault and that its a problem somewhere in BT's network but I'm not prepared to pay for an up to 2mb connection then when I get 1mb which is the most my line can support be stuffed with 512kb speeds. It seems that BT should of saved the money from the bulk upgrades as they certainly haven't improved my broadband connection.

If I'm forced to accept these speeds I will move elsewhere to an isp that does a dedicated 512kb connection with the corresponding monthly cost.