cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Domains are not free Plusnet will charge you over £50

N/A

The racket is simple, when the domain is going to expire then you will be charged £52 to renew the domain or it. if you have 2 domains then you can see that this is a not good

be warned
14 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

This is not the case. If you are entitled to a free .co.uk domain then that is exactly what it is. Free. I have had one for a few years now and have never been charged for it.

If you have been given information to the contrary, let us know what that is and from where it came.

A free .co.uk domain is and should be free if it is an available option on your existing and active account.

I am moving this thread to Community Support as it is not really an idea or suggestion, but warrants further discussion.
N/A

Renewl charge

If you got a free domain when you joined, ie a long standing customer, then you will get hit for the £52, when I transfered out the domain a window popped up saying I was going to be stung for over 40 pound for the pleasure! On speaking to a very helpfull guy in sales he confirmed that this wasnt the case, just a problem with the site.

I wonder how many customers Plusnet will lose when they see they have been stung for the large renewal fee,

this is not the way to do things plusnet,

Tech Support told me this and I wasnt very happy, therefore I have transfered my domain somewhere else that charges a couple of pounds, and after 4 years of good service I feel I must look at other providers as this charge is unwaranted
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Free and included domains should only charge you to transfer them out in the first 12 months, after that you can transfer them out free of charge. If the domain name panel said it would charge you then I need to look into this as it shouldn't be doing that.

At what point did the charge come up? Did it say it on the screen where you entered the new IPSTag or was it after this?
aeroalfie
Grafter

Who gets free domains - anyone with a plusnet account?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Most business broadband accounts have either one or two .co.uk domains for free, residential broadband accounts can have one for £1 per month.
Community Veteran

Sorry if this is a little Off topic.

But other users including myself have found that domain registration companies are much cheaper. For example; a "co.uk" is about £6.00 for two years, not £24.00 as plus.net would charge at £1.00 per month.

Personally I use www.123-reg.co.uk, other users have recommended www.1and1.co.uk

Chilly
Community Veteran

Yes you may find that it's cheaper to go down that route and use an outside registrar but myself I think that the £1-00 per month is not bad value for having your domain hosted and automatically renewed when its due. Smiley
___oDiN__
Grafter

Sorry if these is a little Off topic.

But other users including myself have found that domain registration companies are much cheaper. For example; a "co.uk" is about £6.00 for two years, not £24.00 as plus.net would charge at £1.00 per month.

Personally I use www.123-reg.co.uk, other users have recommended www.1and1.co.uk

Chilly

not forgetting that the price there is for the domain not hosting which would be an additional expense, for we sites i setup for people i use 34sp,com and they charge 9.95 for a co.uk ( 2 yrs) and 15 for basic hosting( 1yr)

so its not bad value at £1 a month really...
N/A

Long standing plusnet domain holders

The pound deal is a sound business strategy by plusnet, what I object to is that when I took out the plusnet account 4 years ago I got a domain thrown in, what I wasnt told was the outrageous renewal fee, so watch out if you have a similar domain, I also was not impressed by the pop up saying I was to be charged over 40 quid to transfer it, this turns out to be an error on the page but I had to spend over an hour trying to get this information out of plusnet with the guy in tech support giving me wrong information and only a later call where a sales guy was actually more help than the tech support got the correct answer, there is no way plusnet can justify charging over 50pound to renew a .co.uk. The fact you have to dig around on the site to find this out and it doesnt show this on the renew page underlines the fact that it is underhand ploy, as such it has really tarnished my opinion of the company
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If you have a pound domain or an included domain then we automatically renew the domain for you without any additional cost. The £45+VAT charge is fort any additional domains you want to register or if you don't have an included domain on your account. We aren't a dedicated hosting company and so do benefit from the economies of scale that a hosting company does when it comes to domain pricing. The price of our domain renewal should be compared against other ISP's and not against hosting companies.

Regarding the page that said you would be charged £45+VAT that shouldn't have happened and you won't have been charged, I have raised this internally to get that page corrected.
fistsbs
Grafter

I have one domain name and was charged.

1 Initial Registration of - jornada.co.uk £45.00 £7.88 £52.88

Is this right?
N/A

What adsl account type have you?
fistsbs
Grafter

PlusNet Broadband Premier - Up to 2Mb
N/A

It depends on what you asked for. If you asked for and are paying £1 per month for an included domain, then no. It isnt right.

Perhaps you should raise a ticket via Link:Contact us to see what the exact position is.