cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Domain – Web and Email don’t work!

Community Veteran

My free domain has been showing as registered and hosted for a few days now, however it doesn’t appear to be functional.

Email: Emails sent to myname@myfreedomain.co.uk don’t get picked up with my other POP3 mail, even though it is set to POP3 in the control panel.

Website: I have uploaded an index.html file via ftp to htdocs/myfreedomainfolder in my webspace and set the domain dialogue box to use this folder. However any attempt to use a browser to get to www.myfreedomain.co.uk just dumps me to google with a failed search.

So am I being really dim or isn’t it working properly?
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'd try a site like:
http://www.dnsstuff.com

Look up the A and MX records for myfreedomain.co.uk (DNS lookup). It should be hitting the PlusNet nameservers (force9.net I believe) and returning an IP address for both.

If it is, then it would appear something is wrong their end which they'll need to look at Wink
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

I've done some work on your account to try to fix both problems, can you give it 4 hours and if it still isn't working shout up.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Ok The web address is now working BUT I am not getting ANY mail including my regular account.

The error showing is: (0x8004210A) time out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server.

Help!
Community Veteran

Hah! No sooner than I posted that it started working!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Peter
N/A

I'm having similar problems getting my new domain web space to work. Is there any specific changes that need to be made before I can upload an index.htm

Do I have to change anything with my FTP client. At the moment I can access my original htdocs folder. Any information to help me get this up and running would be appreciated. Cheers.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@ getitonbangagong

Percussive maintenance always does the trick Wink

@ wildflowers

When I visit the .co.uk domain address on your account there is a page appearing. Are you still not able to see this?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

I have got it working now.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Good to hear Cheesy
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Can't get mine working.

Perhaps I'm missing a step.

Steve
mapletree
Grafter

I had to raise a ticket before mine worked. I think PN have to do something extra before it works

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What sort of problem are you having? With a few of the domains we have to "refresh" the mailbox for the email to work.
N/A

In website settings I only see reference to lydgatedotnet.plus.com

In mail, I only see the same thing.

I don't see the free domain I registered.

Steve
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

You can see the domain on your account at this link

Email settings won't currently show this as mailboxes are the same for username.plus.com and domain.co.uk
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Yeah, I saw that.

I've set up a redirect to see if it's working with my new domain, but just after doing that my line lost it's synce (2 hours after the man from BT who came to check this said it was OK!!) and I can't get access to my IMAP server to check to see if has worked.

I'll let you know.

To get my website up and running do I just need to FTP some content to it and then it will work fine?

I was expecting to see my new domain name listed in both the email and web pages, but if it is normal not to see them then it's just stupidity on my part.

Sorry.

Steve