cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Connection?

N/A

Free Connection?

I need to place an order for 50 odd ADSL accounts with a suitable ISP for our home workers. Nothing fancy required so I was thinking of going with the BB Plus option at £14.99 a month.

However, my IT manager and I have spotted the small print regarding 'Free Connection' and the cancellation terms. i.e £47 penalty if cancelled withing the first 12 months.

As a result, we have put the order on hold until I can justify to my manager why we should go with PlusNet with their so called 'Free Connection' incentive.

Any comments from PlusNet or users before I fire off an email to Pipex to confirm if they have such a clause with their 'Free Connection'?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Free Connection?

The free connection relates to a deferral of the payments for connection (and optionally hardware)
PN reduce the defferred amount by 20% per year, thus after 5 years there is nothing to pay, any time up to that, the amount is reduced on a pro rata basis.
The only option to avoid having to pay this cost with PN, is to pay for connection up front unfortunately.
(So basically, the best option is to assume you have to pay for connection, but the longer you leave it before you cancel, the less you have to pay)
N/A

Free Connection?

I dont think the BB Plus package would be suitable for teleworking...
Serendipity
Dabbler

Free Connection?

Ditto. Although it’s a very good value product BB Plus it does come with restrictions on type of traffic as well as total bandwidth. You wouldn’t want to find workers suddenly limited just because they’d downloaded a few big files.
N/A

Free Connection?

Probably not, although if all they need to do is collect emails a few times a day, it may be sufficient.

Could get tricky if they need to run VPN tunnels for 8 hours a day though...
N/A

Free Connection?

Also, further to what sallyandjames said, you would have to pay the £50 activation charge regardless of ISP, in one way or other, wether it be upfront or deferred
N/A

Free Connection?

Thanks for the feedback.

The VPN tunnel would only be up when the users perform a Send/Recieve in Outlook as they are working offline and the type of emails in questions are mainly texted based with the odd weekly attachments.
They would not be connected constantly during working hours.

I have been using PlusNet myself for many years now and don't have any real complaints with the service so I thought I'd look at it as a solution.

The company I work for is also a registered charity so I am wondering if there are any ISP's out there who can provide voluntry sector pricing.
N/A

Free Connection?

If they currently have a BB connection then surely they would qualify for a free migration?
N/A

Free Connection?

These users currently have no ADSL so nothing to migrate with.
N/A

Free Connection?

Ordering multiple connections is probably still a headache with PlusNet - see This Link

Ray
N/A

Free Connection?

A useful link - but I'm pretty certain that @msdos has read it already - the second to last post on that thread was from @msdos!

If the headache of ordering multiple connections is too much for anyone, let me know the details, and I'll sign them up - but I'll be keeping the referrals cash.... Wink
N/A

Free Connection?

Yep, have read that post before.

hehehe, nice try sallyandjames. Tongue

I'm more than happy to sign up 50 odd accounts individualy just to lower my own montly fee.

I have a feeling that my manager won't be going with PlusNet though due to the cancelation charges. Sad
N/A

Free Connection?

One thing to bear in mind - if you were cancelling because sombody had left the business, assuming that you replace them, you can process a house move, and have the broadband moved to the replacement's house.(15 notes I think)
I've done it once, and threatened it another time - the person who left the second time agreed to take over the payments and the account, so still no cancellation charge. Wink

The other thing to do, since I can only assume you will be providing a company policy of sorts to go along with the deal, is to get users to sign up to the fact that upon leaving the company they must pay any cancellation fee's for the account you provided them, or take over the payments and account themselves.

If somebody has free broadband at home for four months, the cancellation fee is already less than they would have paid for the subscriptions themselves, had your co not been paying them....

Something to consider anyhow - I appreciate it might not fit your business model though.
craign
Grafter

Free Connection?

on a related note, are you installing seperate BT lines for these homeworkers? If you are 'adsling' their home phones, you'll need a clear policy covering 'personal' use of that connection. If it's a seperate phone line provided by the company then your standard acceptable use policies will cover it. (And i assume you're onto all the home risk assessments Smiley)