Fixes: 54

Free Broadband - well that what it says

this link appears to imply no connection charge
Any thoughts
16 REPLIES
N/A

Personally, I found the following article a little more to my liking!!! :lol:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=407245&in_page_id=2
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Damn, thats the link I meant to use
N/A

Crucial to the scheme is rapid progress in development of the new network. BT has only awarded half the contracts for building the system but says the signing of contracts is 'imminent'.

So, it's not going to happen in two years. Also, if BT Wholesale were to really access to and usage of the 21CN infrastructure to customers for free there would be big questions from the Competition Commission and/or OFCOM and BT would probably go under. What is likely meant by all this is that everything is moving to being done over IP with 21CN and basic IP access will be free with use of the network and services which utilise the network (be that voice, media or data) will be paid for on top of this. Also, the term 'broadband' os very vague, it could mean just about anything!
In other words there's no free unlimited net access behind this story.
N/A

'The 21CN system will give customers broadband dialtone - meaning broadband will be available just by plugging a computer in as part of basic line rental,' a spokesman said.

Additional services, including the possibility of buying extra-fast download speeds for as little as a day at a time, will be possible. 'With the new network, there is no need to install boxes or send engineers,' the spokesman said.

The company is trying to decide whether it should also make its video-on-demand service, set for launch this summer, available to non-BT customers.

It sounds good to me. I also think that if this were to come about then small isp's will still be able to cater for the niche market; assuming they can keep a loyal customer base that is. Smiley
kosh2
Grafter

So Plusnet will be able to offer a niche service for individuals who don't want binary usenet, no P2P, poor ping rates on games and in the future limited VOD service (2 gigs a month I might suggest.)

Where can I sign up? Damn, i'm already a member.
N/A

:lol:

Somehow I think that PlusNet will have to fall over themselves to be more customer orientated and allow for a better all round service, if they are to compete in a niche market . Wink
N/A

I believe it when I see it.

BT can't take a pee unless they have permission from their regulator.

I use BT for my phonel ine only (phone calls www.1899.com and PN for BB) but BT are aware that the UK parliament are looking to force BT to provide less service so people don't have to pay £33 a quarter just for a line. I'm guessing they think having these extras services as normal will make that charge more acceptable in years to come.

I can't see all the other providers just lying down and letting BT walk all over them.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I believe it when I see it.

I can't see all the other providers just lying down and letting BT walk all over them.

But I don't see much of the competition laying out the capital and resource needed to achieve these aims? NTL / Telewest had the opportunity but where have they got to in terms of the general market outside of major urban areas?

Maurice
shellsong
Grafter

I wonder what that Mail on Sunday reporter was on! :lol: I remember a few years ago Arthur C Clarke predicted all telecommunications being free early in this century but maybe he'd been eating lotus blossoms or whatever they do for kicks in Sri Lanka Tongue
N/A

ROFLMFAO!!!!!

Quality post sir!
N/A

I wonder what that Mail on Sunday reporter was on! :lol: I remember a few years ago Arthur C Clarke predicted all telecommunications being free early in this century but maybe he'd been eating lotus blossoms or whatever they do for kicks in Sri Lanka Tongue

Probably doing his man servent!!! apparently!! allegedly!!! possibly!! (disclaimer...may or may not be true)
passer
Grafter

Regretfully I must point you to the following link

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/27/bt_free_broadband/

where it appears that reverse gear has been fully engaged. Sad
lank111
Grafter

This could be true!
As it stands now, once DSL Max becomes the norm, the bt network will die!
Already exchange's with DSLmax have been 'Maxxed' out and surly this will slow the whole network down!

Its basicly due to its design, and the cost's to upgrade it.

Once this new network gets launched, with more IP/Broadband planning, there could be a massive supply of bandwidth.

This will mean the line rental and BT charges could drop to free or v-low cost!
Meaning plusnet will be able to provide a 'more' decent service at a lower running cost!

It's about time too, its been said UK's telecommunacations network is 10+ yr's behind other countrys!
Neil_A
Grafter

BT have been talking about 'broadband dial tone' as part of their 21st century network for some time so it's a little odd that it's suddenly news. The concept is that broadband would exist as a component on every line and could be activated in a matter of seconds at zero charge. Pricing would then be on usage or rental or both.

As to whether they can do it or not will come down to Ofcom's view of equivalence and whether an LLU operator would be able to offer the same functionality at the same cost. I suspect if it takes and LLU company 4 days to adctivate a line then BT won't be allowed to activate it any quicker than that.

Having said that if we get free connection that would be great as clearly it would help new customers as well as anyone moving home or changing ISP so it would reduce barriers to taking broadband - a good thing for all.

BT's 21st century network starts being rolled out in Cardiff this year and then across the rest of the country in the following 3 years. It will replace all existing phone lines with Voice over IP services. Hope that's helpful.