cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free 0800 Dial-up for Plusnet Broadband users

N/A

When my Plusnet broadband is down for several days at a time, I feel extra annoyed at having to use an 084* number to dial up. Why don't Plusnet offer a free dial-up in the event of a failure in their broadband service? If it's only open to monthly broadband subscribers, it could be linked to the CLId, and therefore couldn't be abused. The account could even be enabled/disabled, depending on the status of the fault ticket.

What about it, PN?
23 REPLIES
N/A

Let's all watch this thread see if plusnet respond at all, or just slumber on.
N/A

even a standard rate phone number would be nice,
lunchbug
Dabbler

Pipex used to offer exactly that for when you couldn't connect due to a reported ADSL failure.

Come on please PlusNet.

Currently using 0845 dial up due to ADSL failure!
IanD
Grafter

Good idea! It would certainly help to keep the customer a bit happier in that they would still have free internet (since they are paying for it anyway regardless of whether or not they can actually access it).

Any chance of a reply PlusNet and if it isn't something that has been thought of, can it be considered now?
Community Veteran

Who's going to pay for this? 0800 / 0808 services cost a lot of money to provide. If your ADSL service is down due to a PlusNet (or 3rd party on behalf of PlusNet) then they should offer you a refund or credit for your account. Offering an 0800 service could be impratical as they don't know at the time if its your fault or thiers and it would cost them money, which of course they would pass these costs back onto the end user.
N/A

Hmmm... so if it's my fault, I should pay, if it's their fault I should pay anyway?

Of course, all costs to PN eventually come from subscribers' wallets (or shareholders'). But all subscribers might find themselves needing to use a dial-up at some point, due to a fault. The trick would be for PN to ensure that the cost is kept to a very low level - by having fewer faults, and fixing them faster. At the same time, for those few cases that slip through the cracks, the customer has a more reasonable alternative.

There are a few possibilities:
1) They could activate the 0800 account for a given user only after determining the cause of the problem (and only if the problem is PN's responsibility).
2) They could allow the 0800 use right from the start of the ticket, and charge back reasonable cost by DD if the fault is the customer's (make it a condition of 0800 usage).
3) They could take the occasional hit if the CS ticket appears to warrant it, and just monitor whether the cost starts to exceed the benefit of the better service. (perhaps reserve the right to charge back, but don't do it unless warranted).
4) In all cases, they could activate the 0800 account if their CS is failing to meet their SLA. Having some free access would go a long way to relieving the irritation of customers in vain for a CSA to get back to them.

None of these options needs to be cast in stone - they could trial them and see how it goes?
N/A

Who's going to pay for this? 0800 / 0808 services cost a lot of money to provide. If your ADSL service is down due to a PlusNet (or 3rd party on behalf of PlusNet) then they should offer you a refund or credit for your account. Offering an 0800 service could be impratical as they don't know at the time if its your fault or thiers and it would cost them money, which of course they would pass these costs back onto the end user.

The customer is always right. I had no connection the other day on ADSL so had to use 0845 too. I don't have the time or care who is technically to blame and all I know (like PN's other customers) is we pay and expect to get what we pay for. Since MaxDSL does not work it should be Plusnet chasing BT not the customer chasing Plusnet. Plusnet should supply a 0800 or geographical number which has caller ID or whatever else is needed to stop abuse.

which of course they would pass these costs back onto the end user.

No, when a company fucks up the money comes out of their profits especially when there's such a good market for ADSL and people will just move away in their droves.
N/A

Hmmm... so if it's my fault, I should pay, if it's their fault I should pay anyway?

Yes, that's correct. The sooner we accept the responsibilty for everything that goes wrong the easier we will make it for Plusnet's shareholders, England's chance in the 2010 World Cup and the War on Terror™.
JonathanW
Grafter

This is a good idea, however we don't intend for customers to be without a working connection for lenghty periods of time. The number of 0808 ports that we have available is based on the revenue that we receive from the customers who do pay for the use of one of these, so unfortunately having a load of under utilised ports sitting around for potential ADSL faults doesn't fit with how we offer low cost products. We'll look into it though, to see if there is a way that we can do it whilst remaining low cost.
N/A

Thanks, Jon, for the very positive approach to the suggestion. Obviously it has cost implications, and needs to be thought through.

I also liked the fact that you "don't intend for customers to be without a working connection for lenghty periods of time". Good to know! Smiley

Not wanting to use your paying dial-up customers' 0808 connections is understandable - you would have to get a few dedicated ones for broadband-backup, or enlarge the total pool, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to work out how many are needed. without having them sitting around.

At the very least, you could provide some geographic numbers (as an interim measure), so that we are not paying £3/hour for dial-up access while the broadband is faulty.

I don't know how the economics of a FRIACO agreement work out, but what if all BB customers had a free backup number to call, specially negotiated between Plusnet and the telco, for the specific purpose of backup? A flat fee monthly paid by PN to the telco, based on very limited use by those unlucky enough to have technical problems...
N/A

even a standard rate phone number would be nice

But is pretty useless, because BT can distinguish between data and voice calls to geographic numbers, and will charge you (Check out the T+C's on BT Together options). So you may as well use the 0845.

If you have a CPS service or other telco that won't charge, fair enough.
N/A

I dont use BT together and maybe not all phone companies have the same T&C's, be interesting to find out
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Anything we offered would have to be careuflly considered before we could make it available to the customers as a whole.we'd have to investigate the options and see which one best fists with the business model whilst also offering the best solution for the few customers who would most likely use it.

Generally, when it comes to paying for the access, even if a dial up port is sat there active we get charged for it by the teleco that provides it. This is why in the past people have seen some brief issues when we've rebalanced the number of ports that we have for the Anytime 0808 dialup accounts.
N/A

Alternatively just photocopy your phone bill and highlight the numbers/cost and email/post it to them............. along with your greivance .