Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum names a security risk?

N/A

Anyone that posts on these forums is giving up their username - fact

I've always wondered if this is a good idea as we all know that:

http://username.plus.com resolves to the IP of the user.

Yeah it's great for remote management of your router when you don't know what your latest assigned IP is (if you are not static) but is it great for anyone reading this forum and thinking it would be fun to try and hack the users equipment?

My plus.net supplied router didn't block remote access as standard and it wasn't a quick tick of a box either!!.

I wonder how may plus.net router owners have not even bothered to change their default password!

Also, when I signed up I didn't know this so I used my surname. Not a problem, but I didn't really want mackney.plus.com showing up in website logs all over the world :roll:

Rich
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Why is it a problem? Just becuase you have someones username, you will need a lot more information to try and do anything bad to anyone's connection, Internet account or router.
However if you do not want reverse lookup on your IP address / username you can raise a ticket to PlusNet and they can remove it for you.

Chris
N/A

fa55dsl,

Just to add another point to this, when you visit sites all over the world it doesnt matter if your username.plus.com appears or not. Your IP will in 9 out of 10 cases automatically show anyway, ultimately resulting in the same situation as if someone did a revers lookup on your username.
N/A

I don't want to be called gemsi. Its more of a credibility risk than a security risk though...
N/A

I don't want to be called gemsi. Its more of a credibility risk than a security risk though...

Gemsi does sound rather feminine :lol: If you are female then thats fine :lol:
N/A

I (unfortunately) supply the SI part of the name, being Simon. Its great for Gem since it sounds like Gemsie!

I couldn't think of anything else, I doubt she would have liked my XBLive gamertag in her email addresses.

Or anything involving music/DJing.

Meh.
Alecto
Grafter

@gemsi
for more forum cred, I think you can get a payg dialup account with Pn using a slightly more macho name - Dirk or Thruster or something - and just ask one of the Mods to give you posting rights here. Then login under that name instead.

Then if you raise a ticket to get Pn to show your number rather than "gemsi" (reverse DNS is it?), you'll be almost there. Tongue
N/A

Hm, I might go PayG under the name Lungemaster2005!
N/A

Why is it a problem? Just becuase you have someones username, you will need a lot more information to try and do anything bad to anyone's connection, Internet account or router

It's a security risk when I asked one of my referals if I could check their security ... typed in their username, got their router login prompt, tried the default username/password and got in.

OK, 'most of us' change the password.

Your IP will in 9 out of 10 cases automatically show anyway, ultimately resulting in the same situation as if someone did a revers lookup on your username

Not if you do not have a static IP, buy the time the logs get analysed someone else has been assigned that IP.

I don't want to be called gemsi

LOL, no I wouldn't either.

Rich
(currently spending the day viewing firewall and site logs!!)
N/A

for more forum cred ....

Says a man with a pussy cat for an avator !! Cool

Rich
Community Veteran

Hey Leave, Geoff's cat's out of this!
Alecto
Grafter

Says a man with a pussy cat for an avatar !! Cool

He's a dead hard cat, and it's lucky for you he doesn't know where you live Tongue

Anyway, what is it that the size of somebody's car shows?
N/A

it's lucky for you he doesn't know where you live

Well that's exactly what this thread is about.

My username is mackney, you know the IP of my machine, you know if I have visited your website, you search for 'mackney' on google ... oh look I'm number 1 !

You go to my site, oh look he has a brother called simon, oh look he is also on page 1 of google ... oh look theres his address

Oh look google says he owns Fish Media ... oh look theres a pic of him to show the cat for visual identification.

oh look his domain name is registered to his address ....

oh .... and and google shows he runs www.HR-V.co.uk -- which although no massive, is quite a big car Cool
N/A

PS. hello ALF

Thanks for saying hello on my web page.

Rich
N/A

My name is ermmmmmmmmmmmmm.......oh yes....Mark Hobbs Cheesy