cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Date

N/A

Forum Date

Is it just me or are the dates of posts on the forum wrong.....by about 5 days?

t22
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Forum Date

Check the timezone in your profile.

Chilly
ceridwen
Grafter

Forum Date

Why have so many people (suddenly) had their timezones set to some silly number of days!

Matthew
Community Veteran

Forum Date

It was a bug that affected a lot of old accounts when they were added to this message board (they were added with GMT+100 insteal of GMT) and some of those users appear to have just started posting hence this issue is starting to appear more often.
channel
Grafter

Forum Date

Maybe a sticky would solve the problem of these repetitive posts cluttering up the forums? There are almost as many thread about the forum time and date being wrong as there are threads about the FUP.
Community Veteran

Forum Date

We did have a sticky up for a few months after it was first discovered, unstickied it, then stickied it again for a few more months. It made no difference as people still kept posting their times were wrong. People, by their nature, tend to be lazy (or not familiar with message boards) and don't bother searching for an answer before posting. Nothing wrong with that (we all do it) but it means sticky posts rarely reduce the problem they refer to.

The original post is Forum time displayed incorrectly - Fix Detailed Here.
ceridwen
Grafter

Forum Date

I'm going to be very naive.

Couldn't you just run a script to change anyone with a timezone of GMT+100 to GMT+0?

No-one would deliberately set their timezone to GMT+100 (in fact you can't through the web interface), so if the timezone is GMT+100 it is due to the bug rather than a deliberate choice.

Matthew
Treborvfr
Grafter

Forum Date

People, by their nature, tend to be lazy (or not familiar with message boards) and don't bother searching for an answer before posting.

I think that is a bit unfair Peter, I use many bulletin boards, including one that I set up and manage using PHPBB, none of them have ever had problems with the time settings, except when the system time was at fault. Hence, when I first came onto this forum and saw the date was reading a few days into the future I would never have thought that it could be anything other than a problem with the timing on the boards server and therefore never even considered carrying out a search to see if it was a problem encountered by others. I would certainly never have considered looking at my profile to see whether I was on the correct timezone, being on a British based board I would have expected that to be set correctly by default.

Bob
Ianwild
Grafter

Forum Date

We did look at the time this problem occured and it became apparant that we can't easily script this sort of change - Our implementation of Phpbb is very bespoke, because of the way it is integrated into the portals, and as such we risk doing a lot more damage with a script like that than could be possibly imagined!

I'm sure we can put the sticky back if we keep seeing people with this problem.

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

Forum Date

The sticky mentioned was one I posted after the change to GMT last year to remind people to alter their time settings.
Even with the sticky there lots of people still posted asking why thier clock was wrong.

If this is really causing a ploblem then I could post another one but Id prefer at the moment to see how it pans out as too many stickies at the head of forums is itself annoying to some.
csogilvie
Grafter

Forum Date

The sticky Peter linked to is the one I wrote when this problem was evident the first time round...