cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forte Agent EMAIL Settings?

N/A

Anyone got this working? I used Outlook Express no probs but since I prefer Agent for usenet it would be nice to get it working.

I have:

Email addy: anythingyoulike@methanoid.plus.com
News as news.claranews.com (cos I use them and that works)
Outbound: SMTP relay.plus.net USername: anythingyoulike@methanoid.plus.com
Inbound: POP mail.plus.net but methanoid as username..... as that works and other doesnt...

I cannot SEND email tho!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!! (please!)
10 REPLIES
N/A

Hey
Sorry but would it not be good to get back to "basics" and try again
N/A

Is that meant to be some help or as a sarcastic comment ?? Sorry but I couldn't work out which myself.... maybe if it was a bit more basic itself I might have followed it?
N/A

No not a sarcastic comment, why not stick with Outlook Express, but you do as you please OK
N/A

POP is used for incoming mail. SMTP is used for outgoing mail - so it looks like the problem is with your SMTP settings.

Try changing the username for your SMTP server setting to just methanoid and see if that works now.

(Just checked my SMTP settings for Thunderbird and I didn't have to provide a username to send outgoing mail)...

Also, might be unrelated to your new Mail Client - see this thread for someone having problems sending e-mails via Plus.net: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23102

Good luck
Community Veteran

Yes, remove all authentication and username settings for outbound mail and it should work fine.

Chris
N/A

No not a sarcastic comment, why not stick with Outlook Express, but you do as you please OK

Cos its pants for UseNet.. Agent is much easier and more resilient... try assembling a large file from parts with Outlook for example? And I'd rather use ONE prog rather than 2 for the jobs. Makes sense
N/A

POP is used for incoming mail. SMTP is used for outgoing mail - so it looks like the problem is with your SMTP settings.

Try changing the username for your SMTP server setting to just methanoid and see if that works now.

(Just checked my SMTP settings for Thunderbird and I didn't have to provide a username to send outgoing mail)...

Also, might be unrelated to your new Mail Client - see this thread for someone having problems sending e-mails via Plus.net: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23102

Good luck

I tried the former but the latter works (THANKS!!!)... who'd have thought No Password for outgoing emails... kinda strikes me as a potential loophole for spammersHuh? Oh well.. as long as I can send now...
N/A

Yes, remove all authentication and username settings for outbound mail and it should work fine.

Chris

Thanks Boss!! Cool
N/A

I'm sure Plus.Net check your IP address before they relay e-mail on their SMTP servers .......gulp
N/A

PlusNet only check your IP for two reasons.

1: To record it for security reasons
2: TO make sure only PlusNet owned IP's are connecting to there servers.