cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forget PlusNet if your an unmetered dial-up customer!!!

N/A

PlusNet is and has been crap over the last few months for unmetered dial-up!!!

Daily problems with e-mail...busy signals...SLOOOOW response times...etc...promises of "system improvements" to cure these ills...and when the improvements come round...the service steadily deteriorates even more...

I've had enough...the final straw was "Customer Support" telling me that they didn't receive an e-mail from me on 21 July with a 30-day notice to cancel my subscription (my monthly billing is the 20th)...I never got an acknowledgement...so I followed up today by phone...they said that they never received the e-mail (what a surprise - PlusNet e-mail reliability has been absolute crap for the past 2 weeks)...and that I will have to pay for another full month on 20 Aug since they are only now aware...6 days into another billing period...of my intentions...when I told them that I will be contacting my bank and CC to ensure no further charges...they said I would be prosecuted for £8.99...based upon PlusNet T&C...although I have documented proof that they have violated their own T&C 3 times in the past year...

And to make matters worse...they have refused to remove my banking and CC details from my account...which is highly illegal...

It is my opinion that PlusNet no longer gives a damn about their unmetered dial-up customers...their sole concern is now ASDL...this attitude was quite evident in a verbal response that I got from "Customer Support" a few months back...which was "You're on Connect Lite, what do you expect for budget level internet access?"...

Bottom line...I've been a borderline unhappy customer for the past 9 months...but I am now an extremely furious one!!!

Hehe....Let's see how long this post remains on the PlusNet forum!!! LOL
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Of course the thread will remain on the forums, PlusNet compared to most other ISPs are pretty open and honest.

If as you claim you have read the terms and conditions then I'd suggest you read them again, especially the bit about canceling your account. Cancellations must be done through link:Contact Us not phone or email.

Chris
N/A

My friend who's on unmetered dialup has the occasional problem in the evenings getting connected to the internet but on the whole I think she is pleased with the service.
N/A

I've been on Connect Lite and it's predecessors for a long time, and the current service seems pretty good. It's predicable and low cost, and lets me do what I need to.

Those of us without DSL for whatever reason are stuck with some limitations - I'd say PlusNet provide as good a solution as any ISP, and from comments here are better than most.
N/A

I can personally reccomend Freeserve for unmetred dial--up, i was a heavy user, and never had any problems getting on in 4 years.

www.freeserve.com

I can also reccomend Plus Net for ADSL :lol:
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: Forget PlusNet if your an unmetered dial-up customer!!!

Hi,

Apologies that it has taken me a little while to get back into the forums today to address your post...

There does seem to have been a communication breakdown between ourselves and I will be happy if following this post, you wish to speak about your account details further, you email me directly ( iwild@plus.net ) and I will do my best to assist.

My offer is an exception to our normal communication processes. PlusNet as a company have not used email to communicate with customers for more than 3 years now. We do not normally use email internally either so it is no surprise that your email did not get acknowledged. I'm afraid that you cannot expect us to process an account cancellation which has not been made through the clear processes as documented on our website or as would have been explained had you called in at any time advising us of your intention to cancel your account. Had you used the Contact Us tool to request cancellation then we would have had a fully accountable record of our communication with you and this would not have been the problem it has turned into.

I am happy to address your more general points about service levels and Unmetered dialup. Obviously ADSL and Unmetered customers share all of the same services (such as Email), the only difference being the way you actually get connected to the Internet. While Email did have a slightly sticky patch recently during their move to new premises however I do think it is unfair to say the delays have been daily for the last few months.

With regard to Unmetered dialup, you may be aware (if you have followed the previous discussions here) that the costs of us providing Unmetered dial have steadily increased in real terms since we launched the product a couple of years ago. We have done our best to maintain pricing and quality but the reality is that the economics of Unmetered delivery mean we have no choice but to offer our products at an advertised and implemented contention ratio. On the Connect Lite User account, a contention of 15:1 means you are going to get engaged tones at busy times. This is the only way we can manage the products effectively. You may not like to be told that this is the nature of the product you are on, but would you rather have the truth or not?

I am happy to go as deeply into the economics as the group wishes. In summary, a single Unmetered port at wholesale price costs nearly £100 a month. We have to split this up between all of our users to ensure that everyone gets a fair share of what is available. The most significant problem with dial is that we have to carefully control the amount of ports we purchase so that it reflects the makeup of our customer base from month to month, especially given that a wholesale dial port has a 3 year minimum contract term.

I can appreciate that the availability of the service may not as good now as it once was and I hope the above starts to explain the reasons why. To be frank, I don't see things changing much for our Unmetered customers unless BT have a drastic rethink about the way they price unmetered dial wholesale products. That said, I still believe that you do in fact get pretty good value for your money with the amount of usage permitted for £8.99 a month. The reality here is that we are a business like any other and can only afford to offer sustainable products. We are not in the position of some companies (ie Freeserve) where we can constantly return large losses to our owners because we have subsidised our products in order to take market share.

With regard to the favouring DSL point, I think you raise an interesting subject that would benefit from more debate. From our point of view DSL provides a much more workable business model. We pay BT a low fixed cost amount per customer per month and have no minimum term contract on each circuit. This allows for a sustainable profit for us and as such we make no secret of the fact that we would love everyone to use ADSL. I don't however believe that this position correlates with your assertion that we don't care about our Unmetered products and I would be most interested in everyone's feedback on this point.

With Regards,
Community Veteran

Well said Ian - its useful to know what you have to face sometimes, as it makes our problems pale in comparison!

I was unaware that BT Wholesale were still doing the 3 year contract on unmetered dial-in. Its about time OFTEL got their act together on that one!

Barry.
N/A

There is nothing that fotel can do on that issue.

It doesn't affect how competative the service would be.
N/A

Re: Forget PlusNet if your an unmetered dial-up customer!!!

With regard to the favouring DSL point, I think you raise an interesting subject that would benefit from more debate. From our point of view DSL provides a much more workable business model. We pay BT a low fixed cost amount per customer per month and have no minimum term contract on each circuit. This allows for a sustainable profit for us and as such we make no secret of the fact that we would love everyone to use ADSL. I don't however believe that this position correlates with your assertion that we don't care about our Unmetered products and I would be most interested in everyone's feedback on this point.

I'd love to have Broadband but my exchange hasn't yet got it. I do believe you care about all your customers and looking at the latest poll, 59% of those people that have voted don't have broadband yet, so I believe it's in your interest to continue looking after all customers equally.
N/A

My friend isn't on Broadband because she can't afford it so she has to rely on an unmetered product as she can just about manage to pay for that.