cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forcing a DNS refresh

N/A

Forcing a DNS refresh

As I am on BB+ I have a dynamic ip. I have signed up with a company (No- IP) that offers, not so much a static ip, but an address that will constantly be updated to allow access to my router or other applications I want when away.

When I start my PC and get a adsl connection, this programme collects the current ip information and sends it to their server so that at all times (allegedly) I can gain access.

Yesterday I got my webcam working perfectly, accessible from home via the web address and also on a friend's pc, so I know it works. I have tried firing it up today however and have been unable to access it, even though my updated IP has been sent to the No-IP server. If I run a traceroute to my address, I find it terminates at a different IP to the one I am allocated today. On contacting the software manufacturers help desk, I received the following reply:

This is likely a previous IP address of yours that your ISPs DNS server has cached. Have you tried testing this from a remote location?

I am unable to test today from a remote location, but does this mean that I am now stuck with a DNS cach which is going to be 24 hours out of date all of the time? Any ideas if I can force a refresh?

Thanks

Mark

(marksfish.servepics.com if you have read this far Wink )
7 REPLIES
ukbrown
Grafter

Forcing a DNS refresh

Depends on your OS. IN XP ipconfig /flushdns will remove all cached entries from your machine.

if their site is as good as their DNS severs then there may be no hope for you, I could not event get onot their site Today at 19:40.

PN will keep the DNS entry cached, but only till the TTL expires and then it should go out and query again. Looking at the state of the no-ip webservers, how sure are you that the DNS servers are any better ?Huh
N/A

Forcing a DNS refresh

Cushty, that worked Cheesy . Must remember that one!!

With regards to the rest of the answer, I don't know a great deal about how the systems work and follow blindly until I find something that works for me. I too had some problems accessing their site earlier tonight, can't say whether it affected their service though as I couldn't get to it until I flushed the dns, that said, the traceroute ran to its completion.

Just out of curiosity. What is a TTL?

Thanks for your help.

Mark
ukbrown
Grafter

Forcing a DNS refresh

Time To Live.

Most things have a TTL so they get expired and refreshed on a regular basis
N/A

Forcing a DNS refresh

Thanks.

Mark
N/A

Forcing a DNS refresh

Just out of curiosity. If using the flush dns doesn't work, does that mean it is only me that cna't connect to the camera? If someone was visiting (for example) on a BT connection for the first time would it resolve correctly their end? On the traceroute, it gets as far as four hops on the F9 network then times out (as you can see, using yesterday's ip address):

Tracing route to marksfish.servepics.com [87.113.13.148]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms . [192.168.2.1]
2 40 ms 40 ms 39 ms lo0-plusnet.pte-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.72]
3 40 ms 41 ms 41 ms ge0-0-0-504.pte-gw1.plus.net [84.92.4.89]
4 41 ms 42 ms 45 ms gi9-0-403.pte-ag1.plus.net [84.92.4.3]
5 * *

Normally when I carry this out and all is working well, it resolves in the one hop.

Thanks

Mark
N/A

Forcing a DNS refresh

Hi Mark

Just tried a tracert for you and at the 5th attempt I got a request timed out all the way through to 30.

Jack
N/A

Forcing a DNS refresh

Thanks Jack. Appears to be working now. God knows what is happeningHuh??

Mark