cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced IP address change while connected

N/A

I have noticed that the IP address assigned to my modem/router gets sometimes changed while I am connected and transferring data. Effectively, connections I have opened with remote hosts at the time just die. This is VERY annoying - I use my ADSL to establish SSH connections to my work place, and such connections die when PlusNet changes my IP address.

Is it possible to prevent such IP address from taking place while I am connected? I do not mind to have a different IP address next time I reboot my computer, but I do mind having it changed while working.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The IP address does not (and cannot) change while you are transfering data. It can only be changed when the connection drops and you reconnect and then only on those products that have a dynamic IP.

I suspect you are on broadband Plus. Broadband Plus has always been adverised as having a Dynamic IP address meaning each time you connect (after your connection drops for any reason) you will get a different IP address. In the past , PlusNets systems tended to give you the same IP address on BB+ but this has been corrected recently so every connection gets a different IP address now.

If you want a static IP you must change to one of the accounts that offers one - i.e. broadband PAYG or premier.
N/A

We are with Broadband Plus all right, and we are aware of the fact that we are likely (albeit not certain) to get a new IP address every time the connection drops. So, if I understand you correctly, what I am observing are just spontaneous connection interruptions. That's a bit naughty: We also have ADSL in our second place in the US, and we see no such interruptions.
N/A

connection drops could be caused by a number of things such as

poor/faulty router
Intermittant line problems,
PC/router settings

and other things i cant think of at the moment