cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flooded with failed delivery emails

N/A

Hi all,

My mailbox has recently been overcome with a deluge of emails showing failed delivery, or returned due to unknown addresses. On clsoer inspection it appears that someone is using the domain I have with plus.net (technolab.co.uk) and is simply using random addresses from that domain as a spoof sender. As any address in that domain will be sent to my default mailbox, all the returned mails are coming to me.

I thought of getting round it by just setting up a private mailbox, but I'm worried that my domain may end up "blacklisted" somewhow and that my legitimate mails may not be accepted when I send them.

Is it something I have to worry about? Is there something I can do to stop the use of my domain name? Maybe I need to change it completely?

Cheers,

Davie.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How long has it been going on? Most reports I've seen say it lasts for a week or so and then subsides.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I'd say it's built up over the last couple of weeks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm getting the same to one of my domains over the last couple of weeks. What I would do is set-up mailboxes for used aliases before the @ and a catch all for everything else. You could blackhole it, but I'd keep it in a separate mailbox so you can review it from time to time to make sure no legitimate e-mail has gone in there (e.g. if someone has mis-spelt the bit before the @, etc.)

So as I assume the spammers are not using known-used aliases before the @, so any random characters addresses and failure reports should fall into the catch-all box, and any legit mail should go elsewhere.

Still a pain, but the best I can think of really.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Slight variation. I'd set up a single mailbox to receive the problem emails and then set up re-directs for the variations to that one mailbox.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

For now I've set up a new mailbox for my legitimate stuff. The random ones are going to the default address. I'll check it every so often and empty it.
Liam
Grafter

It is possible to blackhole the catch-all mailbox if you have legitimate mailboxes setup for genuine mail.

Simply raise a ticket to us via the Help Assistant at http://help.plus.net